How do I test the 4x4 switch (buttons)? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I test the 4x4 switch (buttons)?

motopsycho650

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Not too long ago, I put a re-built tranny from a '92 explorer into a '94 explorer. The original '92 transfer case was installed in the '94 with the tranny, and I still have the t-case from the '94.

The other day, I tried 4 wheel drive. I hit the button, and nothing. Not clicks from the t-case, and no dash lights. Later that day, I had the 4x4 light on the dash, and the light next to the button come on. After more fiddling, they went back out.

I jacked up the front wheels, and tried turning the front drive shaft. Turns out that the t-case is stuck in 4 wheel drive regardless of if I have a dash light or not. I had not noticed the front end being locked because I have manual hubs.

Besides having a possible bad t-case motor, there are 2 other possibilities I am wondering about:

1. Is a '92 t-case and actuator motor compatible with a '94? (the 2 actuator motors looks a little different from each other).

2. Do I possibly have a bad switch/button? How would one test that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for that link. I'm going to go test the 4x4 module tomorrow. I bet I'll need to replace t-case motors...

you'll see in that thread the most common problem and an easy fix is replacing the broken/vanished *stop* with a piece of fuel line.
No need to rush out and blow money unless your buying drinks:p:

you'll see in that thread the most common problem and an easy fix is replacing the broken/vanished *stop* with a piece of fuel line.
No need to rush out and blow money unless your buying drinks:p:

Second that, I have fixed one before with a chunk of fuel tube and it worked great. The motor assembly is easy to remove and rebuild.

Back