• Register Today It's free!

P0133 - Bank 1 - Sensor 1

hakes

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB
First post here - glad to have the support! My wifes 96 4x4 XLT threw a code P0133 yesterday. I have erased it and am waiting for it to return. If it does, should I attempt to clean deposits from the o2 sensor or should I just replace it? Is the replacement just an unplug and plug the new sensor in? Where in the engine compartment should I be looking? Thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just replace it, cleaning them is a bad idea.

Bank 1 = Side of the engine with Cylinder #1
Sensor 1 = Before the cat.

It's on the exhaust y-pipe coming down from the motor.

Thanks BradE.

is it a v6 or a v8? because that changes where the sensors are and how many you have.....

if its bank 1, thats passenger side, sensor one is pre cat

my mom has a 96 and i jsut changed her b1, s2 last week.... from what i have heard though, you might want to also make sure the wires are not chaffed/shorted or the connector accidnetally unconnected as this happens and its pretty much free to fix, versus a new $70 part......

the wires, harness, and connector on my mom's x looked good, so i replaced the sensor....

And my experience with O2 sensors was that once one of mine through a code and wnet bad, the others threw a code not long after. If you have the money, my advice is to replace all of the O2 sensors.

It's a V6 - how many sensors do I have?

Thanks for the feedback - I will inspect to ensure the integrity of the sensor and wires. If it needs to be replaced (I am focusing on just the one due to cost), is it just an unlug old and plug-in new one? I have not dealt with an O2 sensor before.

i have a 97 ranger 3.0 and i have a 133 code shouyld i just replace the o2 sensor

It's a V6 - how many sensors do I have?

Thanks for the feedback - I will inspect to ensure the integrity of the sensor and wires. If it needs to be replaced (I am focusing on just the one due to cost), is it just an unlug old and plug-in new one? I have not dealt with an O2 sensor before.

Not a bad job, though they can be tough to get out if rusted in badly. Get a replacement that has the plug on it rather than a "universal" that needs to be wired in. Use anti-seize if it's not already on the new sensor. Agree not to bother trying to "clean" them. You have at least 3 sensors, maybe 4. There are pre-cat sensors on both banks (called B1S1 and B2S1); my 5.0 V8 has two more post-cat (B1S2 and B2S2). You might only have one post-cat (B1S2). You can expect more to die, but it might take months - only real advantage to replacing all at the same time is you only have to get dirty once.

Back