'91 Explorer trail rig | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'91 Explorer trail rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

judging just by looks alone im thinking its a very capable 4x4 and if it runs as good as it looks its more then trail ready....... personaly i wouldnt want to be to hard on it though, looks way to good to beat up in the bush.

Why put chevy axles on a ford? If my explorer every gets a chevy part it'll be an engine. Everything else they make is crap

Neat looking ride. Pretty clean for a trail rig so I'm guessing it's a pavement pounder. Suspension may be set up as such and might be unsuitable for the trail.

If you're very knowledgeable about suspension tech, go for it, but otherwise I would suggest having it checked out. I have seen some pretty sketchy and often dangerous fab work. Not worth risking your life over.

I would want proof of the motor and transmission being new; also I'd want to know who did the work. A serious test drive would be in order and just generally going over the truck with a fine toothed comb.

arco777 said:
Neat looking ride. Pretty clean for a trail rig so I'm guessing it's a pavement pounder. Suspension may be set up as such and might be unsuitable for the trail.

If you're very knowledgeable about suspension tech, go for it, but otherwise I would suggest having it checked out. I have seen some pretty sketchy and often dangerous fab work. Not worth risking your life over.

I would want proof of the motor and transmission being new; also I'd want to know who did the work. A serious test drive would be in order and just generally going over the truck with a fine toothed comb.

x2! If you are not experienced with multiple offroad modified vehicles, then you need someone who is to go with you and check it out thoroughly. With that much lift the truck has a seriously high center of gravity, and can be very dangerous to drive, on road and off. I would want a roll cage for sure! And about 3-5 hours to go through everything, very slowly.

Why put chevy axles on a ford?

I agree... This ruins it to me. For as much that was spent on the chev axles, they could've bought a 1st gen bronco front axle.

I wouldn't pay the askin price of 4g's.... maybe $2500. I don't care how much money was spent on it, it is still a 91 EX)

I don't mind other brand parts on a vehicle but everything better be documented.

When it comes time to do maintenance or repair you want to know what parts to buy. There is nothing worse than not being able to figure out what vehicle that part came from.

~Mark

sorry but no way has that truck been offroad. The fist dip in the road would take out the fenderwells (fenders are not clearenced for offroading) It's a mall crawler. and it's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to high to offroad without the possibility of a roll turning the corner! would need a lot of work. the first step being removing the body lift. thats my 2 cents.

Why do people insist on putting a refridgerator 3 feet up in the air and then try to drive it over bumps and around corners????????

How is that a chevy driver side drop front ?

If you go tall you must compensate for width. You will roll if you dont. using wheel spacers could help the issue but that would put more stress on your wheel bearings. go for wider axles from a bronco or something would be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back