• Register Today It's free!

QUESTION Carbed 4.0

leftlane36

Reaction score
City, State
maynardville tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer XLT 4X4
HAs anyone ever seen of had any dealing with a carbed 4.0. I was told a guy that works at the same plant I do has one that is possibly for sale. As far as I know Ford never carbed the 4.0 to me knowledge. Please any help would be nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe he meant 5.0?

did he say it was a v6 at all while you were talking to him?

Yes it is a 4.0 V-6 he is taking it out so he can put a 5.0 in its place. The only thing I can figure is it must be an early 4.0. I would really like to put it in my 87 4x4 ranger in place of the 2.9 thats in it now

it must be an early 4.0
The earliest cologne 4.0 V6 was late '90, after fuel injection was well established. As far as I can tell, there are two possibilities if it is a carbed 4.0:

1) something other than a cologne V6. I don't know if Ford ever built a different 4.0 L engine. Maybe it is a GM or a Land Rover engine or who knows what.
or
2) Someone has put some significant custom work into it to fit a carb on it. In which case, you would probably want to check the quality of the work to make sure it is fairly well done.

I finally got a look at it today it is a 4.0 Ford V-6. THe guy that owns it said it was that way when he bought it and he has put nearly 85,000 miles on it with no problems. I really want this motor, I also want to know what and how it became carbed. I appears to have about a 500-550 cfm carb on it. I will try to get pics of it and post them. Its in a 96 4x4 but the truck stickers under the hood state it came with a 3.0 so I dont know where the 4 came from.

You sure it's the cologe 4.0 ohv?
Obviously the motor was swapped, not sure why you'd want a carb anyways?

There's a company that sells aftermarket intake
manifolds to mount a carb on the Cologne 4.0.
It will also accept a Holly fuel injection throttle
body. That must be what it is.

I saw it while web-surfing a while back....

supersixmotorsports.com

What make carb is it? Could it possibly be a Holley offroad carb? I have one on my V8 Trail rig and has worked flawlessly for years and made for steep inclines. And never any electrical issues or injector problems like many of my injected motors.
Plus it just so Bad ass looking. Never have liked the way an injected motor hides the aesthetic looks of a V8. Except for my first stock Rochester injected engine on my 57 chevy ha ha.
But on your motor an injected aspirated system should do nicely. Since there is no such thing as an aesthetic looking v6 anyway ;)

Somehow I feel the wrath of v6 owners coming down hard on me. Sorry, it's the Old School in me.

Buy it, post an ass load of pictures because this sounds amazing plus hopefully it actually sounds amazing.

Back