2016 Explorer Brake Controller connection under dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Brake Controller connection under dash

I've searched and searched under the dash and I can't find the connector where to plug my brake controller into. I have the factory installed Class III towing package. Any help in locating would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have the factory towing package, it probably came with a pigtail in a plastic bag for a brake controller, likely in the rear storage area with the jack. Chances are, there is also some paperwork in that plastic bag that will point you to the socket-location.

Beyond that, somebody with a gen-5 should chime in soon.

Following this.

I've searched and searched under the dash and I can't find the connector where to plug my brake controller into. I have the factory installed Class III towing package. Any help in locating would be appreciated.
What brake controller are you using? Is there one that's specific for the 2016?

The only way you are going to get a brake controller that is specific to any vehicle, is if it's factory installed. You'll only get that on certain half-ton pickups and SUV's (think Expedition, not Explorer).

Any brake controller you get for an Explorer will be aftermarket, and not vehicle-specific.

I highly recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy P2, or the P3.

I bought this Mopar brake controller for my Dodge Ram that is vehicle specific. Installed easily. Plug and play design. I'm sure Ford will come out with something.
Ram02_JFR.jpg

The Tekonsha Prodigy P2, looks pretty good with good reviews.

Johnnnyo,
Mopar offers your integrated, vehicle-specific controller, only because it's an available option from the factory. Same for Expedition, F150, and other full-sized trucks and SUVs. Remember, you system is not just an aftermarket controller, packaged to blend in. It's fully integrated into your braking and stability control systems. It takes a lot of investment by the OEM to do this, which they will only do if there is a significant market.

You will not find something like that for an Explorer, until/unless they decide to make it a factory-option (and therefore Motorcraft available) for the 6th gen. Since the 5th gen was a step backward in towing ability (5000 max), versus 4th gen (7400 max), I do not see Ford investing in an integrated system for the 6th gen.

To help someone in the future.

I just installed a P3 in our explorer (haven't even towed anything yet so can't give impressions of that). The plug is well hidden under the dash close to your right knee.

First take off the plastic trim under the steering wheel. There will be some bolts on the underside then it pulls off with a bit of a yank.
Next, look between the bottom of the steering wheel and the metal plate that is now exposed (you'll need a flashlight). Toward the right is the plug affixed to the metal plate facing the rear of the vehicle.
You may be able to, but my big paws wouldn't let me connect the plug. I had to take off the metal plate and then it was a simple plug in.
Bolt everything back together and you're good, once you mount the controller of course.

One note: there is another plastic section below the metal piece. You may or may not have to pull it out. I pulled it out when I was trying to find the plug so I already had it out.

Very strange that you have to remove anything. Mine is hidden as well, but accessible once you know where it is, without removing anything.

To help someone in the future.

I just installed a P3 in our explorer (haven't even towed anything yet so can't give impressions of that). The plug is well hidden under the dash close to your right knee.

First take off the plastic trim under the steering wheel. There will be some bolts on the underside then it pulls off with a bit of a yank.
Next, look between the bottom of the steering wheel and the metal plate that is now exposed (you'll need a flashlight). Toward the right is the plug affixed to the metal plate facing the rear of the vehicle.
You may be able to, but my big paws wouldn't let me connect the plug. I had to take off the metal plate and then it was a simple plug in.
Bolt everything back together and you're good, once you mount the controller of course.

One note: there is another plastic section below the metal piece. You may or may not have to pull it out. I pulled it out when I was trying to find the plug so I already had it out.
Ok, please know that you just saved me hella time, not to mention total embarrassment by my fiance who was pretty sure I couldn’t install a brake controller on my own. Between the steering wheel and the metal plate is the last place I would have looked. (And I looked for awhile before finding this forum.). Thanks much - Deb.

Ok, please know that you just saved me hella time, not to mention total embarrassment by my fiance who was pretty sure I couldn’t install a brake controller on my own. Between the steering wheel and the metal plate is the last place I would have looked. (And I looked for awhile before finding this forum.). Thanks much - Deb.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There are several posts in the 5th gen 2011 - 2019 Explorer Discussion forum on where to look for the controller cable.

Peter

Back