The Best Year for the Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Best Year for the Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Simi Valley, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport 4 X 4
Ok, what would be the best year, model, engine, 2dr or 4dr, etc.
The base of an ok street vehicle(to get there, smogable, etc.), but an unstoppable off road monster, basically as bullet proof as possible.
It would have to be reliable, parts would have to be available and relatively inexpensive.
Please list specific modifications that would be a must. Please add pics. I am looking for some ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Polling or shopping?

Good questions! Are you polling? Because if not, you can search around through the Forums under Modified years and get a lot of feedback just by seeing what everybody has and have done to their vehicles... Check it out...

I would say the 1st and 2nd gens are best for offroading because they do more suspension mods... Whereas the 3rd and 4th are limited in suspension mods, but are both street and 4x4...

Suerte!

I would look for a 2000/2001 with the v8, with a 4406 transfer case swap it would be a really good start.

Why 00/01? I was thinking the v8 for sure, I wonder which year was the lightest? Most likely the gen 2? I am thinking gen 2 with a solid front axel after breaking the half shafts? Is the 4406 transfer case an option or where do you get one?

I got to thinking, after seeing a kid with a toyota truck, with a chevy solid front axel, outside roll cage, 2 transfer cases, and a stainless steel 13 gal HEATED water tank with pump, where the spare was. Extra batteries across the frame, a totally self contained, hunting/fishing/camping vehicle. It looks like it could go anywhere, and by the way the body looks it had.

I could make an Explorer a real EXPLORER...perfect size...good "base"...tough enough to start...plenty of ranger/f150/f250 parts available...I could sleep in the "back", take a shower, rinse things off, take supplies...etc.?

those were the last 2 years of the second gen, so they had most of the bugs worked out by then. the 4406 case is out of an f-150 or expiditon, if you do a search for 4406 swap you'll find lots of info about it, it will get rid of the low range and give you a real 4wd transfer case with low range, everyone that has done it loves it, they say it'll crawl just about anywhere just at idle.

91-94, have to be the most off road capable from the factory. 4.0ohv its got enough low end power, 5spd manual, manual tcase. And a lift kit only takes a couple hours to install. The front TTB axle, is a lot more offroad friendly then the torsion bar setup. You can get a ton of suspension travel from using jeep coil springs.

The first 91-01's are very similar when the off road major changes have been done. The parts for the 2nd gen's are newer and easier to find now.

FYI, the 1998-2001 Explorer's are virtually identical. All of the bugs were worked during the 97 model year. Aside from an odd interior color change, side air bag options, heated seat option, the 98-01's are equally good. Do avoid the 98 Limited or Eddie Bauer if you don't want to deal with the ARC air shocks. They can be swapped out though, good luck.

I agree, late model second gens are the best, with the v8.

Back