passenger window wont go up or down | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

passenger window wont go up or down

jd92887

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT - 1993 XLT
where is the first place to check if my passenger front window wont go up or down?

all the other windows work fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No sound, won't work with either control

i saw to hit the door panel to see if it will free it up, i tried it, and it still wont work.
anyone know any other suggestions?

Check wiring at the driver door hinge. Read that it's a problem area.

Why check wiring on driver door? It is the passenger window and it won't work with the passenger door switch OR the driver door switch.

Why check wiring on driver door? It is the passenger window and it won't work with the passenger door switch OR the driver door switch.

Yes, check the wiring in the boot on the driver's door. All windows are powered from the master switch.

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the delayed accessories didn't work, etc. Most recently all 4 windows stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

If all else fails, here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed.

Hope this helps!!

Bump, for an update. :dunno:

i havent looked in the boot yet for broken wires.
is there a wire that could be broken that makes the passenger window not work from either switch, but all other windows work fine?

is there a wire that could be broken that makes the passenger window not work from either switch, but all other windows work fine?

I would say that it's possible. I'll have to look at the wiring diagram to confirm. I will scan the wiring diagram and PM it to you.

My '98 has the same problem. After taking the passenger door apart to get the window up (bypassed the switch and shot straight 12v to the motor) I temporarily had power at the passenger switch, then lost it. Probably a broken power wire coming from the driverside multi switch to the passengerside switch. I'll trouble shoot it in a week or so. This seems to be the most common cause.

Now that I think about it, it sounds more like the window motor is at fault.

Here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed.

I used this link to troubleshoot my window issues and it was a lifesaver! I have it downloaded and can email it to you if you want.

Since you say that the front passenger window is not working then you need to go to Pinpoint Test C:

PowerWindowSymptomChart.jpg

Our '02 Mountaineer window on the RR would not roll up. The motor can be heard working but it stays down. Any possible items that I should be looking for when I take the panel off?

Send me your email and i will send you the wiring diagram with colour coding. The first thing to check is to check each connector with a volmeter. This will tell you if it a broken wire or motor. As an alternative, look for a broken wire on the driver's side since it is the cheapest fix and doesn't take too long to look (if you check with the voltmeter, you will know exactly which wire to look for).

If it is the motor, i have my original one for cheap. I replaced it to find out it was a break.

I used a variation of your posts...eliminated all but the rear passenger door. Turns out these seperate over time....the door ajar sensor fell apart inside. I fished out all the parts, put it back together, crimped the body back on and voila! No door ajar light :) This 15 YO still has life and her light is back off and working great

Back