Front end clonk! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end clonk!

dezufo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer/LPG
Last week I got the clonking bug so had my local garage check it, both LBJs worn, offside worse than nearside, they showed me the movement so I know they aint pulling a fast one. We also found that the O/S disc was only wearing across part of the inside face and N/S disc was scored. So decided to replace both + pads.

Have owned it from 01/2004 and as you can see I have not done many miles as I have only used it for local runs and to take my dogs to shows/competitions with an occasional round trip of 300 miles

History of front end; Current Mileage; 78.225
O/S/F LCA replaced 01/2005 @ 58,668 miles
N/S/F LCA replaced 01/2007 @ 63,967 miles
N/S/F UCA ditto
2 Front Discs + pads 10/2005 @ 60,452 miles

I trawled through the "How To Threads" and felt/feel reasonably confident I can do the repairs, so I used RockAuto for the parts, only problem was they informed me that the Moog K8695T could not be delivered before Sept 15th.
My MOT is due Sept 11th so it was a case of trying else where to see if I could get them sooner, lo and behold Amazon.com (USA) had them and they where available via Prime, so I signed up for the free trial and payed a bit extra for a quick delvery so that I will have them by Sept 4th :D
I thought while I'm in there I might as well fit new shocks so I ordered 2 KYB Gas A Just on ebay via "fast & free postage", coming from Germany and here by Sept 4th. :D

I will be soaking the relevant nuts and the LBJ in penetrating fluid (not wd40) for a couple of days before hand.

Now for some queries, primarily aimed at UK owners althuogh our American cousins are welcome to chip in :)
1) As my LCAs have been replaced the Moog LBJs should fit fairly easy. Yes?

2) The "1 time use" axle nuts seem to be hard to get hold of, I did find Raybestos 8164253 (M20-1.5 X 32mm) on Amazon.com but they are out of stock atm, will these fit our 1998 UK trucks?
2a) What other makes or part numbers do you know of also where to get them from?

3) If I can not get any nuts in time or they wont fit, if I use red thread lock will this be a safe and sure way to prevent them working loose?

4) According to Haynes the Torque setting for the axle nuts is between 157-213 ft/lbs. Is this correct?
4a) Do I use the minimum, maximum or some where in between?
4b) My Torque wrench is in Nm and the max setting is 210 Nm which according to my calcs = 154.92 ft/lbs, any tips on getting the correct setting?

5) If I removed the sway bar end link and shocker but left the TBJ and TRE in situ on the spindle would I be able to jack up the LCA enough to release the LBJ from the spindle?

Strangely I'm looking forward to doing this work as the last majorish work was fitting a new water pump and an electric fan plus stopping a coolant leak at rear of engine on one of the core plugs.
Once it is done I will get the tracking checked then the MOT then shop around for some new tyres as the ones on there are 9 years old

My front anti roll bar was making my 'clunk' even though I'd replaced the links twice and the frame to bar bushes with 'moog' brand.
Just put on some genuine Ford bar to frame bushes and its like driving in a different truck. £50 though, but what a difference.

@ kevin p
I had the same a while back and found 1 of the brackets on the bar had rusted through and was broken, could not get any new brackets at the time so got a set of after market greasable type although the overall size of the bush is smaller than the original it did the job of getting through the MOT.

Update on my parts to fix clonk;
RockAuto discs + pads ETA 2nd Sept. Arrived; 1st Sept
Amazon Moog LBJs ETA 4th Sept. Arrived; 1st Sept
Still waiting for KYBs and BJ press tool kit ETA 4th Sept

N.B. Moog have changed the BJ seal from a large rubber boot to a small pre-fitted seal that is about 1/2" in depth, there is no visible cut out for excess grease but the words "Mount Inboard (with an arrow)" are stamped into the seal close to a green paint mark on the metal flange

Back