My liftgate is opening while driving. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My liftgate is opening while driving.

Hi- not sure if this has been posted before. I looked around and couldn't find anything about it. I've had my Ford Explorer for 4 years now (it's a 2006) and over the last couple of months, the liftgate just opens by itself while I"m driving. We took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything. However It's still happening. Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas what's going on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Played with it this morning. Couldn't find any wiring that went bad, but I think I fixed the problem.

The latch that holds the window closed needed oiling. Basically if I would push it in the closed position with the window open and then press the FOB to open, I would have to help it open with my finger. So I oiled it and it started moving back and forth much easier and I would no longer have to help it open.

I'm assuming that the reverse was also happening. When we would close the window, the latch wasn't closing all the way and vibration was causing it to open while driving. It was starting to happen pretty often so I will update in a week if we don't have any more problems.

EDIT - This did fix the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This had been happening to me for awhile. So I just tried this remedy. Thanks.

2006 XLT 113k

This had been happening to me for awhile. So I just tried this remedy. Thanks.

2006 XLT 113k

I made mine last longer by spraying it down with PB Blaster and cycling the mech with my remote.

The real fix came when I finally replaced the whole mech. I think it was $175 for the part from my local Ford dealer.

Ever since I cleaned out the latch and lubed it up, hasn't happened since.

Thanks for the update every one.

My wifes 2008 Explorer started doing this the other day. Really annoying to say the least and certainly a safety issue. I disconnected the plug to the solenoid at the window and you can hear the relay under the dash still clicking like it is getting shorted out some how. Any ideas as to which wires to check out? I have everything opened up under the dash but it seems like everything is stuff in there which makes it a royal pain to try and do any diagnostic work. The theory where wires have rubbed the insulation off and it is causing a direct ground allowing the solenoid to work seems possible. The problem is just trying to get up in there to inspect all of the wires.

My wifes 2008 Explorer started doing this the other day. Really annoying to say the least and certainly a safety issue. I disconnected the plug to the solenoid at the window and you can hear the relay under the dash still clicking like it is getting shorted out some how. Any ideas as to which wires to check out? I have everything opened up under the dash but it seems like everything is stuff in there which makes it a royal pain to try and do any diagnostic work. The theory where wires have rubbed the insulation off and it is causing a direct ground allowing the solenoid to work seems possible. The problem is just trying to get up in there to inspect all of the wires.

I finally had to replace the rear latch system...my fix above only worked temporarily. I have a feeling you're headed down the same path. The latch and spring mech just wear out prematurely - crappy OEM part.

Good luck!

Came here looking for the same answer as everyone else. Since there doesn't seem to be a concrete answer, I'll probably try lubing the latch. If that doesn't work, I'll disconnect the rear latch because I use it maybe 3x a year and it's not worth replacing.

I just had my '06 in for it's final Premium Care ESP service (expires next week). Got my money's worth on this service as I always stack up items when I bring it in so long as the car is still driveable.

I mentioned this issue and they were unable to reproduce so they were unable to fix it. Everything else they took care of (two rear glass hinges, O2, 2 coils, wheel bearing, airbag sensor). Well worth the $100 deductible.

Not a fix - but mine (a 2007 explorer) seems to pop open under certain driving conditions like certain bumps/dips or when the body "flexes" while turning on to/off of certain roads.

Back