97 explorer sport need fuel filter replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer sport need fuel filter replacement

FordExploder94

Reaction score
City, State
new england
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
hey guys i just got a fuel filter for my explorer because it has been running like crap lately, some times when i start it up it will barley stay idle and some times it starts right up. some times when im driving it will start to bog down and i will loose rpms even if i am accelerating in a low gear. My guess is a fuel delivery problem. When i went to auto zone they scanned it and said it was running lean and i had an EVAP leak or something. but that's probably because i have no muffler. My father said to start at the fuel filter since it is a relatively cheap fix. My question to you is, are there any special tools i need to remove the old filter and replace the new one. My new fuel filter came with a little plastic thing almost looks like a tool or something. My father said that's probably what it is because he knows more than me.Can you guys give me some inside on this? thanks a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here is a pic of the new fuel filter its a WIX

0703091100.jpg

Here is a pic of the existing fuel filter
0703091103.jpg

and heres a pic of BIlly Mays R.I.P.

billymaysshutyourwhorem.jpg

You can go to auto zone and buy the fitting removal tool for like $6.99 they look like little plastic disks. I used the plastic ones, but there is also a metal one. If you do a search for fuel filter you can find out exactly what is involved. Its pretty easy I changed mine in like 10 minutes. Have you done a tune up?

alright well i changed my fuel filter and it its still bogging out and running like crap. my dad said to dump a bottle of dry gas in my tank and see if that helps. if not im just going to have to pay all the money and bring it to a shop

How much was the fuel filter you put in your car?

Hey
I have a 1995 Ford Explorer and I believe the fuel filter needs to be replaced. Will call around to see how much mechanics want to charge but I thought I would ask around. Any info would be helpful.

its relatively simple to do. i did mine at the shop in my school. i guess its always easier with a lift. but for doing it and using the tool for the first time it took probably 40 min, and cost $8 for the filter and my teacher had the tool.

alright well i changed my fuel filter and it its still bogging out and running like crap. my dad said to dump a bottle of dry gas in my tank and see if that helps. if not im just going to have to pay all the money and bring it to a shop

Next you need to check the fuel pressure of the pump with a guage (harbour freight or borrow one) then I would have the injectors checked. Lots of other possibilities as well. If you have no CEL light, then you have to check things out one at a time and eliminate what works.

Goood luck!

http://www.2carpros.com/dia/test_fuel_pressure.htm

I recently did a tune-up of the 2001 Explorer I just got. It has 156,000 miles on it. Everything on it was original...the plugs (the gap was about .096), wires, coil, fuel filter....everything! I changed the plugs, wires, coil, and took the manifold off and cleaned out all the gunk, but I never could get the fuel filter off. I tried for 2 days, first with the plastic tool, and then with the metal tool. Even sprayed the fitting with lube and let them sit overnight. It runs really good with all the new stuff. If I could get that thing changed, I think it would run even better..lol

That filter is a real *****, but you will get it off. It take a special motion of pushing in with the tool and pulling out with your hands on the line. Once you have done one, it's easy.

I hope you get this and it makes sense; just got back from office christmas party, and not thinking real clear.

Change fuel filter

You can go to auto zone and buy the fitting removal tool for like $6.99 they look like little plastic disks. I used the plastic ones, but there is also a metal one. If you do a search for fuel filter you can find out exactly what is involved. Its pretty easy I changed mine in like 10 minutes. Have you done a tune up?

This will be my last visit . Every time I have visited it has been no help. I get redirected to another site. Sorry it happened that way. And the information that I did read on here was either incomplete or misdirected.

This will be my last visit . Every time I have visited it has been no help. I get redirected to another site. Sorry it happened that way. And the information that I did read on here was either incomplete or misdirected.

You can hire someone to fix yours. It's OK. There's nothing wrong with that.

Directions

Bert D : Sorry you feel like that. I find tons of useful info, always very well explained and often with photos. You won't find a better resource anywhere else.

Explorer94 : Have you used a heavy duty fuel system cleaner yet ? I'm a big fan of Seafoam motor treatment. 1/2 in the gas tank, 1/2 in the oil. Then
( once it's warmed up ), run it pretty hard. It'll clean the entire fuel system out. Good luck ! Brian

Back