Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The servo piston I take it is internal, so if it is indeed leaking there would be no way for me to verify through an external inspection of the trans, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Many thanks!

5R55W Band Adjustment

Not to hijack this thread but I have a 2002 Explorer 4.0 4WD with a 5R55W transmission. I know the procedures to adjust the Overdrive and Intermediate Bands. What I would like to know is there a need and procedure to adjust the Low/Reserve Band. I have the ATSG 5R55W manual and it only gives procedures to adjust the Overdrive and Intermediate Bands which is the same information I've found on this site. Any help/information would be appreciated. Thanks

Low/Reverse Band

B2,
Thanks for the welcome and rapid response. Since there is no Low/Reverse Adjustment Stud, is there any type of adjustment or check to verify correct Low/Reverse band adjustment/operation? I'm assuming that the Low/Reverse Servo Assembly actuates the Low/Reverse Band. Is there any need to check and/or adjust the Low/Reverse Servo Assembly? Thanks again.

Check the servo tip to see if it's broken. There is a repair part called an extendo tip for repairing broken servo tips, but you have to be careful since a tip that is too long will cause the band to drag. You could check the length with a depth gauge.

I have a question the other day I adjusted the bands and had some issues. Actually I had my dad do it....He has been a mechanic for 20+ years and he's the only one who touches my truck. Well anyways he loosened the first nut and placed the torque wrench on the bolt after several turns it was apparent that the bolt was not going to tighten down. He continued and eventually the bolt tightened down to 10ft lbs. The same was for the second adjustment, but when we went to drive it.....it wouldn't move in reverse at all and forward it had to be revved up to 3 grand and it barely moved. So we backed them off until it finally moved.....It didn't "solve" the problem but made it better and not as frequent. Anyone ever had this problem? Should I just keep adjusting them in until it stops and forget about the 10ft lbs? The bolts would turn with your fingers it wasn't like it was being cranked on with a wrench....

Thanks in advance.....

quick question so i dont have to read through 7 pages of posts.

When it says, 2 turns back, that means two complete revolutions correct? as in 720* of rotation?

Yes, it means exactly two turns (720 degrees) back/out.

I went out and bought a torque wrench to perform this operation. When I crawled under the Explorer, I was surprised to find the gear shift cable and mounting bracket were in the way of the adjustment bolts and locknuts and have to be removed to do this adjustment. I should have known it sounded too easy to be true.

Correction to my previous post. I went back to the band adjustment immediatley above the gear shift selector and tried to get to the locknut from the back side with a wrench. There is more room from that angle to work.

today i replaced two side servo's and the valve body tomorrow i will find out if it fix my first to second flare

Please everybody update us with your results!

today i filled the transmission took it for a test drive the same problem does not shift in to second gear right its a soft shift feels like it shifts again finelly to third i just dont know has to be something i did when i rebuilt it

Did you put that repair kit they make in the servo bore? Adjust the bands?

the bore is perfect also has larger servo bands been adjust twice once i justed it od two turns out immediated two and a half turns no change i even turn it to two turns nothing happen the immediate cluches was brunt out two frooze together when i bought it now i believe i might have put the seal on the piston wrong

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im sorry im wrong it was direct clutchs burnt together

Back