Gear Shift Stuck in Park

TLEE

Reaction score
City, State
Ansonia, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello all I'm new the the site

I just purchased my 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer yesterday. It has 56,000 miles on it.. Today, after driving for about an hour, I made a stop and my gear shift wouldn't shift out of park. I finally got it shift and now everytime I put it in Park it does the same thing. I'm home now and I put it an Park and tried to shift out(just testing it out) and now it seems to be completely stuck. Has this ever happended to anyone? Is there anything I can do? I have to be to work in a few hours and I have no idea how I'm going to get there with my new baby stuck in par.lol

Thanks for your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same problem here. I have to take it in.

But, I discovered this: If you pull back on the shifter, before depressing the brake pedal, it usually allows everything to work. Maybe it is just mine, but it seem to be an adjustment issue.

Anyone know if these can get "loose", or if there is any adjustability to the switch interlock mechanism?

schaltungserie.jpg

In case of emergency, take out the rubber liner in the bottom of the cup holder. there will be a little square (i cant remember if there is a cover or not, if so remove it). With a long flat blade screw driver press down and it will manually unlock it until you can get it fixed.

I had this problem on my '06 XLT. It took three trips to the dealer to fix it - total replacement of shifter mechanism. Wish I'd know about the screwdriver trick - I had to have it towed out of a tire shop when it locked up.

Yeah that screwdriver trick helped out alot. I got it to the dealer and the shifter mechanism had to be replaced as well.

You're welcome. Sorry it took so long.. Spikedog's comment reminded me.

$1200 or $5.00!

We have this problem at 43000 miles. The service mgr said that the problem was in the "sealed" shifter mechanism. I paid them $100 for the diagnosis and went home and opened the console to find the only problem is the little switch at the top of the previous picture. All we need to do is replace that little $5.00+/- switch and our troubles are over. Do not let them rip you off! All we need to do is find out who supplies the switches. Anyone have any guesses?

We also have that little leak in the top right corner seal of the radiator. For another $1200 I can buy a lot of coolant and just keep it topped off.

Sadly this is our 4th and last Explorer.:mad:

And what about fixing everything forever in the final position? As to be seen at the third photo above.

There was a TSB on this issue, i dont know if it evern went to recall though.

You could simply remove it so that you dont need to worry about it, however if you shall choose to go this route it makes it so that you can just grab the shifter and shift it into gear at anytime when the truck is off.

God bless duct tape.

I have considered that if I can't get a switch that I would just tape the safety block out of the way until the day we trade it in. I did get the part number of the wire harness that the switch is part of. It is 15A808. Ford won't sell it seperate from the shifter assembly. Maybe I'll check with the junk yards.;)

We have this problem at 43000 miles. The service mgr said that the problem was in the "sealed" shifter mechanism. I paid them $100 for the diagnosis and went home and opened the console to find the only problem is the little switch at the top of the previous picture. All we need to do is replace that little $5.00+/- switch and our troubles are over. Do not let them rip you off! All we need to do is find out who supplies the switches. Anyone have any guesses?

A quick question....Is the button hard to press when the weather is warm, or if your exp has warmed up a little?

Mine seems to be fine if it is running for a couple of minutes, or if the outside temp is over 15c, although my hubby can depress it with brute force when it is cold...I am too much of a weakling

shifter problem

Is your Explorer a 2006? What you describe is not related to the problem that we're discussing in this thread. The only thing I can think of that is causing your problem would be the contact surface between the button that you squeeze and the rod inside the shifter that needs to slide downward. It may just be too worn where that contact occurs. To find out you would need to take the grip apart to see the mechanism. Maybe someone else on the board can advise you on that process.:scratch:

same problem happened on my 2000 XLS.. it ended up being the brake switch.. you can always put your truck into gear by turning the key one notch to the start position and then put it in neutral, then start it.. you can get it into gear like that if you had to get somewhere...

Sorry, for bringing back an old thread but I have a 2006 XLT V6 that is experiencing this issue intermittently and is becoming more frequent.

I have the extended warranty from Ford, but its $100 deductible if covered under warranty. I was wondering which part in the pictures above needs to be replaced? Also, a part# would be much appreciated. The reason I'm asking is because if the part is only $5 I would much rather just get the part and put it in myself than paying Ford $100 to put in a $5 part.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you not get a recall notice for it?

Back