Weird 4R70W problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird 4R70W problems

Dweano

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford Ranger
Hey guys.
I swapped the powertrain from a 96 V8 Explorer into my 96 Ranger. I am testing it out and having tranny problems (story of my life)

I was driving it around for the first time, wouldn't shift into 4th (I thought)). It would just slow down hard (like you shifted into first) around 80km/h, but if I pressed the O/D off button it would be normal again because it would shift into what I assumed was 3rd. Checked the fluid... low (worked its way into the lines, cooler, etc) so I filled it up. Ran, repeat, filled.

Then I drive it again and it was acting like it was overfull (because it was) once and awhile it was like there was air bubbles because it would push fluid out of the breather tube. Then it would be good. Then it would do it again. So I drove around some more and it still won't shift. I put it in 2 and it is no different than D, so it seems like it won't shift to third now?????

So I drained some out.

So now I think that the fluid is around normal level (maybe slightly high). Its hard to tell with a wet dipstick and clearish fluid. But still...won't shift into 3rd. At 80km's its around 3300 rpms. Way too high

I should say that my 4x4 lights flash (because I have a AWD tcase from an explorer so there is no indicators) and also switching from O/D on to O/D off does nothing.

Any suggestions? Please don't say it is blown. I have spent way too much time and money already on this

I should check the codes now that I think of it.

This was a week ago. Most recent time I drove it...same thing...then I put it in reverse to turn around...put it in D...NOTHING...crap...put it in 2...nothing...put it in 1...nothing...put it in D...blah blah...

Then I put it in 1 again...and I go in reverse...now that is weird...

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone have thoughts?

I am thinking something in the valve body is messed or else some (all? haha) soleniods are messed up. Which would make sense with the drain out and add fluid. Shook some stuff up I bet

I have a hard time believing it is shot. It worked fine before the swap and there was no grinding or banging or shredding noises at all

I would not condemn the transmission until I know for sure that the computer is commanding the transmission properly, a scanner with data stream is the best way to monitor the computer.

The loss of drive and engaging into reverse when in low can be a problem with the internal linkage, I only see problems here when someone has removed the valve body and or messed with the linkage.

Yes checking the codes is a great place to start.

No tranny codes. I think I am going to drop the pan and change the solenoids. The air bubble incident put darker fluid up on the dipstick so I am guessing that there is some grime in there that got stirred up and maybe jammed up the solenoids???

I know less than I thought. Which solenoids should I replace. The two shift solenoids, the tcc, and epc?

Also could it be the MLPS?? Manual lever position sensor?

Does anyone have any ideas?!?!? I ordered all new solenoids but due to shipping debacles I still haven't got them. It was stuck in second before it "died" and I have heard that second is a fail safe position when both solenoids aren't working. So that gives me hope.

Something interesting happened today:

I was rolling it to the shop (dead battery) and I had it in neutral and in it's travels neutral become park!!!! I was rolling back and forth and steering and what not and then I noticed that I couldn't roll it in neutral. Makes the same noise it does in park. Bumping up against the "thing that stops it from moving while in park" wtf. Actually wtf.

I guess it means that some linkage or something is messed up. I don't think it is actually blown

Changed the solenoids...no change. While the pan was off I checked out the internal linkage and it all looked fine. Why am I cursed :(

If the intermediate sprag is locked up it will shift from 1st to 2nd and on the 2-3 shift it will bind, like you hit the brakes. This is the only thing I have that comes close to what you are experiencing. This does mean that it has a internal failure and will have to come apart to fix.

I did read the whole 4r70w rebuild diary...it didn't look THAT bad...complicated for sure but it is well written and the pictures are great...it may have given me false confidence that I can do it...haha. Maybe I will read it over again

Back