Adding Navigation Later | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Navigation Later

according to several sources I have read, the equipment is exactly the same, but is locked from the factory if not originally equipped. There are probably tons of threads here on it. I searched because the demo I bought did not have it and I really wanted it.

I think the conclusion seems to be they might make it available down the road, but too many other things to worry about now.

here is one article I read on the issue.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367161,00.asp

for now I use google maps and sync services which is decent, not as great as nav, but works well

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No After Market Navigation

:CAN: Hi everyone. I bought my 2011 Explorer XLT in Ottawa ON, and ordered the Navigation after being told by the dealer that it could be added afterwards.

Well, 3 weeks into my car, I get a call from the salesguy telling me that it CANNOT be installed after leaving the factory, and that they cannot install it.

They will refund my money; however, I made it very clear I would NOT buy the car if I could not get navigation installed.....and they still sold it to me, and now are telling me that this is now a used car; therefore, I cannot get my money back and order a new car. The b*st*rds will happily buy my car for $5000 less to allow me to get the proper model with my options.

My lesson learned: don't drive the car off the lot until everything is there and works as ordered.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=31704

It would seem that all vehicles that have MFT come equipped with Navigation, but if you want the maps and stuff, it has to be enabled, and then an SD card be purchased for the system to get the map information.

I also seem to remember reading somewhere on a TSB that to ensure you have enabled the map navigation, and sirius travel features that the customer originally had.

:CAN: Hi everyone. I bought my 2011 Explorer XLT in Ottawa ON, and ordered the Navigation after being told by the dealer that it could be added afterwards.

Well, 3 weeks into my car, I get a call from the salesguy telling me that it CANNOT be installed after leaving the factory, and that they cannot install it.

They will refund my money; however, I made it very clear I would NOT buy the car if I could not get navigation installed.....and they still sold it to me, and now are telling me that this is now a used car; therefore, I cannot get my money back and order a new car. The b*st*rds will happily buy my car for $5000 less to allow me to get the proper model with my options.

My lesson learned: don't drive the car off the lot until everything is there and works as ordered.

That seems strange - I thought all Explorers (certainly XLT) came with navigation installed, but you had to pay the $700 for the SD Card and have them then turn it on? I'd check that again. Doesn't sound right. It's not like they have to install anything - just turn it on and give you the SD Card

someone should attempt to find someone with the sd card for the maps, and put it in an explorer without navi

The vehicle must be built with NAV. At this time, it cannot be added after being built.

We also offer SYNC Services turn-by-turn directions (in the U.S.) for vehicles with and without the NAV feature.

Rebecca

someone should attempt to find someone with the sd card for the maps, and put it in an explorer without navi

I just ordered my X without Navigation, if someone in the DFW area with Navigation wants to get together once I receive mine and try this, I am all up for it. I should receive my X end of October beginning of November if everything goes soomthly.

The vehicle must be built with NAV. At this time, it cannot be added after being built.

We also offer SYNC Services turn-by-turn directions (in the U.S.) for vehicles with and without the NAV feature.

Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca.

Does anyone know if you can add the navigation module after you purchase? I don't want to spend $800 on the current navigation system, but if it drastically improves in the next couple of years, I wouldn't mind adding it. Is it just buying the SD Card and having the module loaded in the computer?

Thanks
If it makes you feel any better, based on limited feedback onthis forum from customers with built in navigation, it seems to be sub-par by slowing even further MFT and not being accurate and having outdated maps. I have read several reports that a $100 garmin performs better than the built in nav. I really can't say first hand, since I don't have nav, but I'm just say'in:D

from what I have read online it has been attempted several times and simply will not work, hopefully future updates/rebuild will allow this

Rebecca

I must say, I was a bit disappointed to not have Nav, but this comes in a close second. Not as good as Nav for on the go, but if you know where you are going ahead of time it is a pretty great feature.

I do really the would fix the smartphone app and make it work better as well as being more useful.

I just ordered my X without Navigation, if someone in the DFW area with Navigation wants to get together once I receive mine and try this, I am all up for it. I should receive my X end of October beginning of November if everything goes soomthly.

It will not work. MFT without the NAV option, cannot read the SD card.

I have tried it :)

Thanks Rebecca.

No Problem!

I do really the would fix the smartphone app and make it work better as well as being more useful.

If you have any suggestions, please pass them along to me. I will send them to the appropriate people!

Rebecca

It will not work. MFT without the NAV option, cannot read the SD card.

I have tried it :)

Rebecca

Rebecca, one question, is it a software limitation?, meaning that the NAV option is "locked-out" or is the MFT "brain" physically different with and without NAV?
In my mind, all the hardware is there, just the "NAV" option is lock-ed out in the software since we did not agree to pay $700.00 for that option:D

Maybe non-NAV MFT is missing actual hardware, like a GPS antenna?

Just curious, I'm not trying to get something for nothing...

Ford's Logic Totally Insane

Rebecca, one question, is it a software limitation?, meaning that the NAV option is "locked-out" or is the MFT "brain" physically different with and without NAV?
In my mind, all the hardware is there, just the "NAV" option is lock-ed out in the software since we did not agree to pay $700.00 for that option:D

Maybe non-NAV MFT is missing actual hardware, like a GPS antenna?

Just curious, I'm not trying to get something for nothing...

Hi again, thanks for confirming that NAV cannot be added later. As my title above states, FORD's logic on their computer system is INSANE. Why must NAV or anything else be hard coded at production? I did not have my car custom made, it was in the lot, so I did not have a say for lots of things I wanted. Hnowever, the designers should have had enough forethought to make sure each system can be fully enabled if the customer is willing to pay. I was MORE THAN HAPPY TO PAY FOR NAV..... so Ford would make their money whether a custom order or add-on after the fact. I would love to have BLISS too, but cannot, and who knows what else I am forgetting now.

I am still fighting with my dealership to give back the car and custom order a new one....I do love my Explorer, but hate the bullshit of these addins, and the poor service I received from the dealership. It would have saved me a lot of headaches. Right now, I am nothappy with my car knowing it's incomplete....and noone should hate their new car.

Hi again, thanks for confirming that NAV cannot be added later. As my title above states, FORD's logic on their computer system is INSANE. Why must NAV or anything else be hard coded at production? I did not have my car custom made, it was in the lot, so I did not have a say for lots of things I wanted. Hnowever, the designers should have had enough forethought to make sure each system can be fully enabled if the customer is willing to pay. I was MORE THAN HAPPY TO PAY FOR NAV..... so Ford would make their money whether a custom order or add-on after the fact. I would love to have BLISS too, but cannot, and who knows what else I am forgetting now.

I am still fighting with my dealership to give back the car and custom order a new one....I do love my Explorer, but hate the bullshit of these addins, and the poor service I received from the dealership. It would have saved me a lot of headaches. Right now, I am nothappy with my car knowing it's incomplete....and noone should hate their new car.

I really don't see where your complaint is about the Nav. It's not like ford is the only comapany that doesn't allow factory features to be added on.

The reason not being able to add BLISS could be due to different wire harness that aren't used in non BLISS models.

Like others here, I'm not getting your point. No manufacturer allows for retrofit of an integrated NAV system. None. Zero. It seems you owe your dealer an apology.

My lesson learned: don't drive the car off the lot until everything is there and works as ordered.[/QUOTE]"I made it very clear I would NOT buy the car if I could not get navigation installed....." You probably should have had that written into the sales contract or waited until you received confirmation about the add-on. As this is a new model, I am sure that not all salespeople would be familiar with all the after market options. After driving it for 3 weeks, it would be the same as someone else buying a demonstrator off the lot. That is also a long time to wait for an answer from the dealer. A very expensive lesson learned. I shopped at one Ottawa dealership but ended up buying from an out of town dealer.

Here are a few things, some of them are just basic structural stuff.

1. It has a tendency to crash. I have an iPhone 4 - opens back quickly, but a little annoying

2. The search feature struggles - not very good - example: I need directions to the hospital in Los Angeles - I type in Cedars Sinai and get everything but

3. When inputting addresses I would often get an incomplete message, even when the whole address with Zip code was there

4. Allow it to download the map and directions rather than having to call services - this would be great.

5. Allow it to work through the interface on MFT and input and download directions etc

6. Allow other Navigation functions to work through the system - several manufacturers are using MotionX gps drive - may get a head unit for this for my wifes car.

I like the idea, but haven't used the app much because the search function isn't that good and it's not really an on-the-go kind of app, it seems to be a mobile way to add addresses to you account.

If I have computer access I prefer to use google maps and then send it to my car. In fact, if the google maps on my phone had that feature I would probably use that as my on the go function.

but all in all, having something that works like the motionx does with certain head units would be much better

*Disclaimer
Have not used motionX, but thinking about getting my wife's Insight a compatible head unit because I like the theory.

Thanks for listening and trying to improve these things

If you have any suggestions, please pass them along to me. I will send them to the appropriate people!

Rebecca

Which dealer did you buy from?

Here are a few things, some of them are just basic structural stuff.

1. It has a tendency to crash. I have an iPhone 4 - opens back quickly, but a little annoying

2. The search feature struggles - not very good - example: I need directions to the hospital in Los Angeles - I type in Cedars Sinai and get everything but

3. When inputting addresses I would often get an incomplete message, even when the whole address with Zip code was there

4. Allow it to download the map and directions rather than having to call services - this would be great.

5. Allow it to work through the interface on MFT and input and download directions etc

6. Allow other Navigation functions to work through the system - several manufacturers are using MotionX gps drive - may get a head unit for this for my wifes car.

I like the idea, but haven't used the app much because the search function isn't that good and it's not really an on-the-go kind of app, it seems to be a mobile way to add addresses to you account.

If I have computer access I prefer to use google maps and t
hen send it to my car. In fact, if the google maps on my phone had that feature I would probably use that as my on the go function.

but all in all, having something that works like the motionx does with certain head units would be much better

*Disclaimer
Have not used motionX, but thinking about getting my wife's Insight a compatible head unit because I like the theory.

Thanks for listening and trying to improve these things

I would send them a PM to make sure they get it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If she doesn't respond in a few days I will, but she seems to follow what's happening here pretty well.

Back