Flat tow with drive shaft in. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flat tow with drive shaft in.

I got a 1985 Bronco 11 that I want to use at the deer lease about 200 miles away from my house .it has the 2.8 v6 and auto matic trans .do not want to pull the drive shaft every time .Can I flat tow with every thing in neutral .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have 4wd or 2wd? Most Bronco II's are 4wd, but they did make a 2wd version.

If you have 4wd, I believe that you can shift the transfer case to N and flat tow with no other issues. If you still have the owners manual, it should tell you if you can.

If you have 2wd, you are going to need to disconnect the driveshaft. Remco makes a device that you can install so that you can disconnect by remote cable. If you install the remote cable, you just disconnect by moving a lever from inside the truck.

http://www.remcotowing.com/node/7

I have seen trucks with locking hubs on the rear for towing.

the trans should never be spinning without the engine running. if things are correct, it should be in PARK when towing. the transfer case should be in neutral IF capable.. keep in mind that some transfer cases will not self-oil with only the rear output shaft turning (they require trans-side rotation to oil. although some will oil with front-shaft rotation too) of course, if it's an electronic t-case, you're screwed.

of course, if it's an electronic t-case, you're screwed.

Actually, the Gen 2 Control Trac can be converted to have a selectable N for towing although it isn't equipped that way from the factory. I'm debating with myself whether to pay the money to have my Sport converted (the dealer has to reflash the GEM, so it isn't a DIY type of thing), or to sell it and get something that will be lighter and easier to tow.

Towing behind your RV

The Ford part is all of $27-, which electronically makes sure that the transfer case is in neutral, to allow you to tow your Explorer behind your RV-----but only the 4X4 version.

Keep in mind we're talking about a BII, not a late-model Explorer... That makes a difference.

IIRC, there was a neutral tow kit available back in the day for the BII, but the odds of finding one today (if it ever existed) are somewhere between 'not good' and 'no way'. If you have the automatic trans with the electronic shift, you will need the neutral tow kit (or disconnect the driveshaft). There is no other way short of a trailer.

Now, if you have either a manual trans or a manual transfer case (which were both available in a BII), you can place either of them in neutral and flat-tow it without an issue. The t-case is lubed by the rear shaft, and the manual transmission is splash-lubed and will be fine.

Good luck!

Back