2003 Explorer. Window problems. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer. Window problems.

tbone51merc

Reaction score
City, State
N Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello, I am new to the site and am happy to be hear. I have a 2003 Ford Explorer AWD. Last year around October I rolled my electric windows down in front and could not get them working again? I pulled the door panel on the drivers door and checked for power at the switch and did not find any power. I have power to the door locks and they work fine. I replaced just about any and all fuses that I could find but no change. I am at a total loss. I read some of the forums and the only thing that I could figure is the ground to the door but I could not find a ground. Any help with this I would greatly appreciate. I thank you for your time. Tom in N Idaho.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I am new to the site and am happy to be hear. I have a 2003 Ford Explorer AWD. Last year around October I rolled my electric windows down in front and could not get them working again? I pulled the door panel on the drivers door and checked for power at the switch and did not find any power. I have power to the door locks and they work fine. I replaced just about any and all fuses that I could find but no change. I am at a total loss. I read some of the forums and the only thing that I could figure is the ground to the door but I could not find a ground. Any help with this I would greatly appreciate. I thank you for your time. Tom in N Idaho.

Check the rubber boot between the door and frame, and see if there is a broken ground wire.

2003 window problems

Thanks for the reply, I will check the boot.

Welcome aboard! :salute:

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, etc. Most recently all 4 windows stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

If all else fails, here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed

Hope this helps out! :biggthump

03 window problems

I thank you BigRondo. I will check the boot and I appreciate all the info. I will check back in after I do my inspection of the door boot. Thanks again. tbone51merc

I thank you BigRondo. I will check the boot and I appreciate all the info. I will check back in after I do my inspection of the door boot. Thanks again. tbone51merc

Good luck. Hopefully you can get it fixed without too much trouble!

Window problems

I have to thank you again BigRondo. You were correct on the broken wires in the drivers door boot. I had two main wires that went to my main window control that had been pinched in two. Windows work fine again after reconnecting them. Thanks again and I hope to return the favor some day. Take care.

TBone

NIce work! Glad you were able to get it fixed. It's nice when stuff works outQ ;)

Hello Gents!

I am a new user and appreciate the Great insights. I have followed the advice about checking the wires in the boot and found what I thought was the answer to my window problems. It turns out that after fixing the broken blue with black striped wire that it only allows me to lower the front windows and only using the driver switch. None of the other switches work and the rear window still don't go down.

What could be the problem with the other switches? And why don't the rear windows work when I had no issues with the window before they suddenly stopped working?

P.S. Rondo... nice to see another Marine out there! I served from 2006-2010 with 2/8,

Hello Gents!

I am a new user and appreciate the Great insights. I have followed the advice about checking the wires in the boot and found what I thought was the answer to my window problems. It turns out that after fixing the broken blue with black striped wire that it only allows me to lower the front windows and only using the driver switch. None of the other switches work and the rear window still don't go down.

What could be the problem with the other switches? And why don't the rear windows work when I had no issues with the window before they suddenly stopped working?

P.S. Rondo... nice to see another Marine out there! I served from 2006-2010 with 2/8,

Thank you for your service! :salute: I spent some time at Camp Lejeune, I believe that's where 2/8 is headquartered? Engineer School out at Courthouse Bay & 8th Engineer Support Battalion at French Creek.

Here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed

Great Thread.

Been putting off fixing the Door Ajar prblem for awhile now... (About 5 years. LOL) However I will now look into it. Also recently had all the windows quit working which is my new motivation. Now if I could get the gas gauge to work all the time time, sntead of when it wants to, and the ABS light to either come on or stay off, not come on once a week. Any Ideas?

Back