1997 4.0L Aerostar. Fuel line repair. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 4.0L Aerostar. Fuel line repair.

leshalls

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Aerostar
Hi all, there's a fuel filter located just under the driver's door on the chassis rail. That filter uses a flexible and curved line to connect from it, to the fuel line going to the engine bay. That flexible fuel line on my van has burst, probably old age, and apparently Ford have discontinued the part.

Can anyone please suggest a replacement part and supplier for the flex line and the filter?

I looked at RockAuto but their parts don't provide a diagram of where their parts fit so I don't know if I've located the correct part on their site.

Help, as always, is appareciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! You could replace it with high pressure flexible hose, and regular hose clamps (or fuel line hose clamps that don't dig into the line). Another option is to splice the part on the line with the hole, install a brass barbed fitting, then use 2 metal clamps to complete the repair.

Thanks Brooklyn Bay.......any ideas which size line I need?

Most local auto parts shops carry the fuel filter connectors and/or repair kits.

RockAuto sells the Dorman 800-054 nylon repair kit (3/8" line), but it might be best to visit your local auto parts shop to make sure of the correct size and fit. Bring in your old parts and they should be able to set you up with either a repair kit or put together an assembly of replacement parts.

I would lean towards replacing the fuel line hose and the fuel line connector, rather then patching up an already deteriorating hose.

Thanks Eric......yep, saw the stuff on RockAuto but they have different sizes.....3/8 in 5/16 out......5/16 in 5/16 out etc and don't state what sizes ot types (different fittings) go where.

Also, I have a Chiltons book on the van and that's no better.......again, doesn't say which sizes or which type go where.......useless really!

Looks like I'll have to take the thing apart and as you say, go down the parts store and see what I can find......or, I can order from RockAuto once I know the sizes.

I thought that perhaps the folks on this site might have come across this before.

Thanks for the help

Les

I have a 1997 4.0 extended and finding a fuel filter is no problem. Go to Advance Auto Parts and you will find it there, including the Ford Motorcraft filter which comes with the mounting clips.

as to replacing a fuel line, I would follow Brooklyn's advice of a high pressure flexible hose.

Racing outfits, and auto parts stores have them. Ordering from rock auto is more expensive with shipping costs and if you have a problem with the part, you cannot get it corrected inmediately.

Good points, thanks Jose.

As you probably already have found out, the front fuel filter tube hose (aka ... the front fuel tube assembly) is sold as a complete unit (if you can find one!!!), meaning it includes the entire fuel line from the filter to the engine. And is very expensive ($150+).

It is best to purchase third party parts for about $20. The plastic fuel filter connector is 5/16" (inside diameter), but the nylon/rubber hose is 3/8". If you were to purchase these parts in pieces, you would need a 5/16" fuel connector, a certain amount of 3/8" fuel hose, and one or two 3/8" fuel hose clamps (not the spiral type as BrooklynBay has already suggested, rather the flat surfaced clamps).

I was unable to find even the complete assy (didn't know there was one) and Ford apparently have discontinued the part(s) so it seems I'm down to using aftermarket anyway.

So it looks like I need 3/8 in/out high pressure flex fuel pipe, right?

So it looks like I need 3/8 in/out high pressure flex fuel pipe, right?

Yes, 3/8" high pressure flexible fuel hose. The nipple on the fuel filter is 5/16". The nipple "bulge" on the fuel filter is 3/8".

BrooklynBay suggested high pressure flexible fuel hose, not "flex fuel pipe".

The reason is because the Aerostar fuel pump is inside the fuel tank, as opposed to some vehicles that have the fuel pump attached to the engine. So in the Aerostar, the fuel line and hoses are under pressure (about 35 psi) all the way back to the fuel tank.

This is the entire replacement part kit:
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/rnb-800-054/overview/

or the 90 degree elbow kit:
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/rnb-800-051/overview/

Both are the same except for the 90 degree elbow in the latter.

You have a choice between various replacement parts. Take a look at these choices:

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 533
  • 55777d1212859437-will-fuel-injection-hose-withstand-biodiesel-hose-2.jpg
    55777d1212859437-will-fuel-injection-hose-withstand-biodiesel-hose-2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 834
  • IMG_3125.jpg
    IMG_3125.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 300
  • 61845da0-522c-40c6-8ab6-2cd96be1902e_400.jpg
    61845da0-522c-40c6-8ab6-2cd96be1902e_400.jpg