Which O2 Sensor to Replace??? CEL Code P0133 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which O2 Sensor to Replace??? CEL Code P0133

ortred

Reaction score
City, State
Carson City Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
I looked through a lot of post on this forum before posting my problem, but I’m seeing a lot of controversy out there further confusing me.

I’ve got a 1996 Explorer 4x4, 4.0L, 6-cylinder with a check engine light (code: P0133). The printout Autozone gave me for code P0133 stated the bad O2 sensor was closest to Cylinder # 1, Bank 1. My Haynes manual says P0133 relates to the “Upstream” O2 sensor Bank 1. So far, I’m pretty sure upstream means the sensors between the engine and cat converter. Underneath my Explorer I found two O2 sensors; one on each side of the Explorer, between each exhaust manifold and the point where they met before the cat converter. The exhaust pipes met just before the cat converter on the right (passenger side) of the Explorer.

My question is this: What side of the engine is Cylinder # 1 on, and which O2 sensor do I replace, driver or passenger side?

Thanks a bundle!
Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In a vast majority of cases, when an O2 sensor code such as yours is thrown, the cause is not the O2 sensor.

Have you scanned the function of the O2 sensor(s)?

In a vast majority of cases, when an O2 sensor code such as yours is thrown, the cause is not the O2 sensor.

Have you scanned the function of the O2 sensor(s)?

About a year ago Ford hooked it up to their diagnostic machine while the code was there. He said he found no problem with the operation of the Explorer, and to simply clear the code and forget it. I done that for a year because the CEL would only come on for a day or two and then go away for a month or more, but now it stays on. I've had Autozone read and clear the code twice in three weeks; the CEL always comes back on the next startup.

I had a similar code popping up on my 2001 5.0 and my neighbor who is a ford mechanic took it to work to check the code, it turned out the cat was bad and was replaced under warranty.

.......i had this same problem & code, also, went thru resetting a couple of time's last year.....:confused: .............:mad: ..............just got fed up with and just went out and bought 2 ea. NEW one's and replaced them>>>>>BOTH>>>>reset once again, and haven't seen this problem NOR code's come up since...:p: .............. you could just buy one first, ( cuz they are like 40 to 60 a pop :eek: depending on what BRAND), and start with replacing the driver's side & reset.......:)

........<:thumbsup: nice link thar 410, wish i would of knew about's that last year....:scratch: .......:p: >

mr. Charles

Back