2003 Mercury Mountaineer/Ford Explorer Rear Window Wiper Improvement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Mercury Mountaineer/Ford Explorer Rear Window Wiper Improvement

cedarwoodron

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
03+07 Mountaineer Premier
Hello All:
I have been a member but not very active- until this weekend, when I added a second Mercury Mountaineer (2007 Premier) to my existing 2003 Mountaineer Premier car set. (well, the college daughter has to drive something, right?- she gets the old one!;)).

A while back, I noticed that the rear wiper blade swept a relatively small area of the rear window, so I measured the wiper's reach at the 12 noon position and found that I could put a larger blade on and get a significantly-improved sweep.

I replaced the smaller blade with a more robust one (Walmart) that was 17" long,
and I highly recommend this inexpensive upgrade for both Mountaineers and Explorers of the 2002-2005 generation.

On my newer 2007, the repositioned wiper appears to not allow this (well- maybe an inch longer), but a stronger wiper blade is definitely called for.

Hope this info helps.

Cedarwoodron

The little old lady that owned my explorer took it to Ford and bought Ford everything. Let me tell you motocraft wiper suck! But anywho, my explorer has a large wiper on the rear that clears almost the entire window. Maybe someone put on the wrong wiper?

Back