BTF Fabrication Explorer Lift Coil Spacer discussions | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BTF Fabrication Explorer Lift Coil Spacer discussions

Anyone ever try adding shims using the extra length of thread on the studs? Shim between the top of the strut and the shock tower. I hadn't checked how much extra thread length protrudes beyond the nuts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Reason I ask is I want a lift and want to add a performance shock. The only performance shock I can find are the rancho quick lifts but want more lift than they provide. I want to add a Shim maybe 3/8 or so, whatever will fit. I like the spacers but want a performance shock. Any thoughts? I hope this isn't too off topic.

I don't believe you're given much thread to work with to begin with, and in my humble opinion I think that shimming the strut 3/8" or even 3/4" for that matter would yield negligible lift gains. Perhaps I'm mistaken?

-Dubya

Anyone ever try adding shims using the extra length of thread on the studs? Shim between the top of the strut and the shock tower. I hadn't checked how much extra thread length protrudes beyond the nuts.

I added a 1/4" spacer in the rear during my level lift. Given the amount of thread remaining after installing, 1/4" is as thick as you can go in my opinion.

Do you guys know of any performance shocks other than the quick lifts or coil overs?

I currently have a spacer lift in my 03 explorer but its the old roadbully spacers with the 2in spacers in the rear. At full sag I get contact beyween the axle and frame and has caused me to blow through 2 axle cv joints now. Do the 1.75 rear spacers have the same problem. And if not how much for a set of rears only to 95356?
Thanks
Holden

No issues with the 1.75 inch rear spacers over here

I currently have a spacer lift in my 03 explorer but its the old roadbully spacers with the 2in spacers in the rear. At full sag I get contact beyween the axle and frame and has caused me to blow through 2 axle cv joints now. Do the 1.75 rear spacers have the same problem. And if not how much for a set of rears only to 95356?
Thanks
Holden

Mine still touched at full sag even with 1" spacers but I expect that there is a lot less stress on the CV axle with a shorter spacer than 2"

No issues with the 1.75 inch rear spacers over here

Do you get contact at full sag? Im tired of blowing cv joints apart.

And does anyone have some 1.75 rears for sale or can I still get them new?

Do you get contact at full sag? Im tired of blowing cv joints apart.

And does anyone have some 1.75 rears for sale or can I still get them new?

At full sag my axles do kiss the bottom of the frame portal, however that's only with jacking the rear up. I've had no issues with regular driving as of yet, and not heard it from anyone else.

I've personally always felt that the roadbully spacers were too large for feasible or even safe driving. The consensus seems to the be that 2.25F/1.75R are the maximum spacers. (with extended control arms on the front, of course).

-Dubya

Having an issue with my spacer install. Last week I put in the spacers, OEM UCA's, struts, and ball joints all around. Slightly more of a pain in the ass than I was led to believe from reading the posts here, but they went in. The issue is, my right front knuckle is contacting the coils on my strut while the left front has about 3/4" clearance. Did I do something wrong? I cant understand why they would be different. I intend on getting the extended UCAs, but don't believe this will fix the issue. Ideas?

The BTF UCAs will remedy the contact up do a certain spacer height, after that they will make some contact but the angle won't be detrimental. Anything but tiny spacers will make contact with stock UCAs. There is no way around that unfortunately. Do not test the longevity of those ball joints on the meantime. Invest in the extendeds

The BTF UCAs will remedy the contact up do a certain spacer height, after that they will make some contact but the angle won't be detrimental. Anything but tiny spacers will make contact with stock UCAs. There is no way around that unfortunately. Do not test the longevity of those ball joints on the meantime. Invest in the extendeds

Thanks Dubya, but any idea on why there is so much difference side to side? If they were both making contact, I wouldn't feel like something was wrong.

Thanks Dubya, but any idea on why there is so much difference side to side? If they were both making contact, I wouldn't feel like something was wrong.

Part of it may be due to the alignment settings, but I'm thinking that maybe the strut on the one side isn't extending fully, either due to something internal to the strut itself, or interference is happening elsewhere that you might have overlooked.

Also, you may have just gotten lucky on that one side with the way the spaces between the coils lined up...if the spindle ends up in a gap...no contact.

Questions about the btf lift for my 05 Explorer

Hi everyone! I'm new here, and have owned my 05 Explorer XT for about 2 months now. Really liking it! But I've got bigger and better plans for it! I was wondering though if there are any downsides to buying this lift. Here are my questions about it:

How is the ride compared to stock?

Does it negatively impact the ABS and stability control on the vehicle?

Does the steering/handling characteristics of the vehicle change negatively?

Could I squeeze 285/75/16 tires with one of btf's lifts?

Will these bigger tires effect the driveline/transmission?

(Clearly fuel mileage and speedometer affected)

How she sits today...bone stock except for Sony Head unit and two Kenwood 12" subway fees powered by a 900w pioneer amp:
14818070560_bac6e7d72b_k.jpg

Stiffer
No
No
Yes
Maybe

Hey guys, I just bought a set of Goodyear Wrangler AT Silent Armors (245/75/17) for my 2002 XLT 4x4. Do I need to add wheel spacers or do i need to go with some strut spacers? Is any of this even necessary for my tire size? They're 31.5". Thanks!

245/65/17 was a stock size on mine when I got her so you'll be right

Tires didn't fit. Just going to go back to 235/65 all seasons :/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spew!

Where were the clearance issues? My 265's are 31.5"-32" high and they fit height wise.
I only put wheel spacers to clear the steering knuckle cos I'm still running stock susp, no lift yet....

You could try 245/65/17's as they come out stock here on them.

Anyway, apologies ay, I been out of the game for too long

Back