Does your base make cracking popping sounds when the heat is on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does your base make cracking popping sounds when the heat is on

BruceF

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Base
Does your base with no options make cracking popping sounds when the heat is on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does your base with no options make cracking popping sounds when the heat is on?

I know we personally have been through this before, but...

My 2012 Black Ford Explorer base with towing package and block heater and no other options makes the cracking noise when the heat is on. It's loud, noticeable and annoying.

I am trying to get a running tab on how many people are having this problem.

Base with no options here. So far, no heating related issues.

Yeah.. I've got it.. Just haven't gotton around to calling the Dealer (or Cory)...

Joe

...My 2012 Black Ford Explorer base with towing package and block heater and no other options makes the cracking noise when the heat is on. It's loud, noticeable and annoying.
BruceF & jonredcorn,

I have your Explorer’s details from previous messages, so drop a line via PM for me to lend a hand.

Yeah.. I've got it.. Just haven't gotton around to calling the Dealer (or Cory)...

Joe
I can relate to being busy, Joe; when you get the free time let me know. :)

Cory

Hi Cory, I have a 2012 explorer base model and have been experiencing the heater cracking/popping noice ever since I've got it. I want to ask you if there is a fix for this problem. Have a fairly busy schedule lately and would try to avoid multiple trips to the dealer if possible.

Thanks,
John

Hi Cory, I have a 2012 explorer base model and have been experiencing the heater cracking/popping noice ever since I've got it. I want to ask you if there is a fix for this problem. Have a fairly busy schedule lately and would try to avoid multiple trips to the dealer if possible.

Thanks,
John

I had Cory contact my local dealer, who looked at it. They reported that this is a normal characteristic of the explorer. The dealer was able to verify this by contacting the ford service hotline who claim that this is the sound of the heater going in to sleep mode. Nothing has been done about this from my dealer. Hope you have better luck.

BruceF & jonredcorn,

I have your Explorer’s details from previous messages, so drop a line via PM for me to lend a hand.

I can relate to being busy, Joe; when you get the free time let me know. :)

Cory

Thanks Cory, I will try to soon. I don't really feel like bringing it back in unless there is a fix for it since I have to drive over an hour to the dealership each way. Thanks for your help previously though! I was treated much better once you got involved. I hope you stick around here for as long as I own this car!

Hi Cory, I have a 2012 explorer base model and have been experiencing the heater cracking/popping noice ever since I've got it. I want to ask you if there is a fix for this problem. Have a fairly busy schedule lately and would try to avoid multiple trips to the dealer if possible...
John,

I’m not a technician and can’t speak to what’s been released for a repair. I understand busy, so shoot a PM with your contact info and I’ll set up a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area.

...Thanks for your help previously though! I was treated much better once you got involved. I hope you stick around here for as long as I own this car!
You got it, jonredcorn; I love it here! :D:thumbsup:

Cory

Looks like we are starting to get more people with the problem.

Yes ford only says it is normal because this works to get people off their backs.

Remember they propably told people the same for the A-Pillars, tin roof and so on.

Cory is doing an excellent job getting us to people at Ford. My contact Erika called the dealer and the dealer says that ford says it is normal. So I just keep getting the run around (they are hoping I will give up).

I do not think it is normal to have a rock hitting your windshield sound every 12-20 min.

My update. The dealer couldn't reproduce the sound either. I went with them for a test drive and turned the heater on and literally after 30 minutes, 0 noises. Of course this happens when you are on a test drive with a tech. He said he was still going to keep an ear out but for now, it hasn't been doing it. The last time it happened was about 3 days ago when I had the heater on but only after an hour of driving the car.

My update. The dealer couldn't reproduce the sound either. I went with them for a test drive and turned the heater on and literally after 30 minutes, 0 noises. Of course this happens when you are on a test drive with a tech. He said he was still going to keep an ear out but for now, it hasn't been doing it. The last time it happened was about 3 days ago when I had the heater on but only after an hour of driving the car.

The best way to reproduce this is to turn the heater barely on to "hot" and put the fan all the way up. The cracking noise is the heater going to "Sleep" meaning that it has warmed up to the temp the thermostat is expecting.

Mine cracked so loud yesterday that I thought the windshield broke. Scary.

Next time it happens take a video of it. Should be enough for dealer.
Worked for me with A-pillar noise.

...Cory is doing an excellent job getting us to people at Ford...I do not think it is normal to have a rock hitting your windshield sound every 12-20 min.

I appreciate the kind words, Bruce. I verified you still have a follow-up scheduled so let me know via PM if you’d like to be contacted sooner.

My update. The dealer couldn't reproduce the sound either. I went with them for a test drive and turned the heater on and literally after 30 minutes, 0 noises...
mtz,

I’m also keeping an eye on your case and Brian is set up to call. Drop a line if you’d like any more details forwarded before then.

The best way to reproduce this is to turn the heater barely on to "hot" and put the fan all the way up. The cracking noise is the heater going to "Sleep" meaning that it has warmed up to the temp the thermostat is expecting...
Thanks for posting your recommendation, jonredcorn. I sent you a PM with more details.

Next time it happens take a video of it. Should be enough for dealer.
Worked for me with A-pillar noise.
GWA1,

Taking a video of the sound definitely wouldn’t hurt. :)

Cory

Back