Whats The BIggest tires i can fit????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats The BIggest tires i can fit?????

mercer21

Reaction score
City, State
NEWFOUNDLAND CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 EXPLORER LIMITED
hey just woundering whats the ABSOLUTE bigest tires i can put on my 2002 ford explorer limited with a 3 inch roadbully lift, on stock 16 inch rims, and if i bought some wheel spacers would i be able to go any bigger then that? I dont do much offroading and when i do it isnt EXTREME offroading so i dont really worry about it banging or scrubbing, so with that factored in i want to know the absolute biggest, and if adding wheel spacers (i mean the ones that you can buy on ebay from up to 1"-2" ) would make that even bigger, or if adding wheel spacers wont even make a difference.
also if any one has any pics of these wheel spacers installed i would like to see them cause i kinda like the offset wheel look, what would be a comfortable size in these wheel spacers without looking dumb, or if you think that it wont look good at all or even make a difference to the wheel size let me know, cause i havent bought them yet, i only got the roadbully lift and thats all i want if wheelspacers isnt gonna make a difference to my tire size, but if it will let me know how much of a difference sorry for rambling on i guess i cant word it right lol so just answer these 2 questions

1. how big of tires can i get on with just a 3 inch roadbully lift maximum size for someone that dont really offroad hard?

2. maximum tire size with a roadbully lift and say 2" spacers (feel free to let me know if 2" is too big and dum lookin)both questions are for tires that will go on a 16inch stock rim.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the biggest tires you can fit on a STOCK exploder or moutaineer are 265/75/r16

So not sure about the 3 inch lift, but you can probably get an idea.

If you actually measure everything you will be able to know for sure.
(theres two different kinds of tire measurement systems, figuare it out, and measure the clearance, that's what i did, and it turned out to be deadly accurate.)

I'd says 37's are doable with the below mod:)
153387R_lg.jpg

With a 3" lift, 285/75/16's might work. Read in Roadbully's thread about people who have lifted their ex/mounty and what they are running.

i agree with limited anything is possible. i think a guy did the 3 inch body lift and 285s with minor trimming. he also have 1.5 inch wheel spacers. i think the 2.5 inch spacers with 265s look great but if you want big i say go for it

hey just woundering whats the ABSOLUTE bigest tires i can put on my 2002 ford explorer limited with a 3 inch roadbully lift, on stock 16 inch rims, and if i bought some wheel spacers would i be able to go any bigger then that? I dont do much offroading and when i do it isnt EXTREME offroading so i dont really worry about it banging or scrubbing, so with that factored in i want to know the absolute biggest, and if adding wheel spacers (i mean the ones that you can buy on ebay from up to 1"-2" ) would make that even bigger, or if adding wheel spacers wont even make a difference.
also if any one has any pics of these wheel spacers installed i would like to see them cause i kinda like the offset wheel look, what would be a comfortable size in these wheel spacers without looking dumb, or if you think that it wont look good at all or even make a difference to the wheel size let me know, cause i havent bought them yet, i only got the roadbully lift and thats all i want if wheelspacers isnt gonna make a difference to my tire size, but if it will let me know how much of a difference sorry for rambling on i guess i cant word it right lol so just answer these 2 questions

1. how big of tires can i get on with just a 3 inch roadbully lift maximum size for someone that dont really offroad hard?

2. maximum tire size with a roadbully lift and say 2" spacers (feel free to let me know if 2" is too big and dum lookin)both questions are for tires that will go on a 16inch stock rim.

before you go adding spacers, do some reading on scrub radius, and take leverage into consideration

remember if you're adding spacers it's more strain on the wheel bearings (Because the weight is no longer centered on them) and the added scrub radius from the spacers will make steering bad, and cause bumps and objects that the tire runs into/over to cause the steering wheel to turn/swerve in that direction among other things.. i wouldn't go wider tires at the expense of added scrub radius, just me personally.

before you go adding spacers, do some reading on scrub radius, and take leverage into consideration

remember if you're adding wheel spacers it's more strain on the wheel bearings (Because the weight is no longer centered on them) and the added scrub radius from the spacers will make steering bad, and cause bumps and objects that the tire runs into/over to cause the steering wheel to turn/swerve in that direction among other things.. i wouldn't go wider tires at the expense of added scrub radius, just me personally.

just wanted to make it clear so people don't get confused between the lift spacers and wheel spacers. i took my wheel spacers off because i had a shake due to having the wheel spacers. then again my 1.25 inch wheel spacers were fine not shake or any neg. affects. 3rd gens are just really picky some explorers have issues other don't

with just my body lift i am pretty confident that i could fit 285s on. of course some minor trimming would have to be made.

thanks for all the fast answers i think i have my mind pretty well made up, but could you clearify what you mean when you say with 285/75/16 that there would have to be minor trimming thank you, also if theres someone out there who has a roadbully lift and thats all and are running 285/75/16s without any other modifications to make it fit could you please let me know, and just one more qustions out of BFG MUD TERRIAN KM/2s and GOOD YEAR ATHORITOYS and HURCLEAS TRAIL DIGGERS and COOPER DISCOVERS STT
could you please rate these tires 1 being best and 4 being worst so i can get a good idea of which tires to put on those are the 4 i like and have to choose from and if any one feels that any of the tires i named are junk and wear fast or negitive feedback on them please feel free to tell me it would help me alot and if theres a tire that i havent named that one of you EXPLORER/RANGER?MOUNTY guys are currently running with your ROADBULLY LIFT please feel free to suggest them to me, once again thatnsk the answers i got really help me.

Biggest I could fit were 265/50R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers. Should pickup this weekend. They are on 35mm backspace G_FX wheels. ONly ~1/4" to the upper ball joint and flush to the fender lip. Any wider and need less backspacing and flares.

Back