My gear shift lever broke off in my hand! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My gear shift lever broke off in my hand!

bigbird71

Reaction score
City, State
Coral Gables FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS Sport
I have a 04 XLS with the column mounted transmission selector lever. The vehicle has 51K miles and today the shift lever broke completely from the column and left me stranded. I've been driving since 1966 and never had a shift lever break in my hand. Is this a common problem with Explorers and is there a quick fix other than tearing the steering column apart?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome To The Forum! I believe I have heard it around the forum before...As for a quick fix where did it break? depending where it broke maybe you can use a small metal strip and tap a screw on both ends to hold it together.

My friend has that happen to his 93 f150. He just went to a junkyard to get the part. He was unable to shift with the broken lever, he had to climb under with a pair of vise grips to shift it. Did yours break high enough up to still be able to shift?

Thanks for your suggestions. My post will have to be updated, I have a 2004 not a 1994. I saw a fix by Sweden Bob where he fabricated the part that broke. I;m hoping to hear a reply from him as to whether he has made replacement parts for sale; otherwise it looks like i will have to replace the entire column. I had the car towed to a body shop that I trust, hopefully they can find a good used part; otherwise according to the forum I'm looking at a $1200 repair

Thanks for your suggestions. My post will have to be updated, I have a 2004 not a 1994. I saw a fix by Sweden Bob where he fabricated the part that broke. I;m hoping to hear a reply from him as to whether he has made replacement parts for sale; otherwise it looks like i will have to replace the entire column. I had the car towed to a body shop that I trust, hopefully they can find a good used part; otherwise according to the forum I'm looking at a $1200 repair

Send SwedenBob a PM AND post a thread calling him out. He does not come on daily, but recently reported that he had a stock of the parts you seem to be needing. Good guy, I'm confident that he will help you out if he can.

I had that happen to mine, I had to put a whole new steering column in. I found a great used one for $150 at a salvage yard.

Can anyone explain to a "non" mechanic how to either fix this shift lever or how to replace the whole column?? apparently this is very well known problem among 2002 Ford Explorer owners!!!

Shift Lever broke in my hand

I do not think this is a job to be taken on by a non mechanic. I wound up getting a local body shop locate a used column from a recycle yard and had it installed by them. It cost $600.00

Shift Lever

I did buy the part from Sweden and now it it as a spare in case my rerplacement column breaks. It is really a well made part, much better than the pot metal used by Ford. Even with the part, I would not want to tackle the job myself, I don't know enough about steering systems to mess with.

gear shift lever broke off today

Today as I was getting ready to leave w/ my children in the car, I went to put it in reverse and it completely broke off. It didn't go in reverse but broke off completely. I went online to research because this is the oddest thing that has ever happened, and come to discover this is not an isolated incident. I would not of been that strong to break the metal. I tore the rubber from around it to look at the damage done. I am looking for a replacement, I do not have the money to buy a whole steering column new or used. I was hoping if this piece is still available. Please contact if so

A quick fix that i had to come up with was: take off the top cover of the steering colum, drop the colum down with the adjuster, take a small pair of vice grips, clamp it around the shifter indicator cable atachment. This will alow you to shift gears, (from rev to drive),no park. Just set the parking break, turn it off. Your key will not remove until you tie down the switch that is at the bottom of the shifter slot. Your shift lever will make it close when you put the truck in park. Then you will be able to remove the key. Later when you get the replacement part from Sweeden Bob, Realy check in to the process of installing it. I had a ***** of a time, (did not want to remove the sterring wheel), It can be done, but you will need to be creative in the way in goes in,( what tools to use and how to get it to fit). Give me a ring when you are ready. I check this site at least 2 times a day.

Just a note to anyone who is looking for a used part from a Junk yard. All of the original parts were made out of this POT metel, and they will break. You need to get one that is made out of solid aluminum. It is just a matter of time, before you have a shifter lever in your hand, and thinking to your self WTF. Ford realy had it together when they said " A better idea"

Replacement Part Needed ASAP!!!!!!!

Hello, I just had this problem happen to me two days ago. I removed the cover off the steering column, then removed the gearshift lever which was intact, also removed the broken piece. Now am trying to find the replacement piece I need. Cant seem to find it in the local auto part stores, trying to avoid going to the dealer and getting ripped off. Any help will be appreciated.

My Gearshift lever broke off in my hand

I just found out that Dorman Products sells a replacement part for between 50 and 90 dollars. Part number is 905-104 i ordered mine through Bensons Autoparts .

02 Ford Explorer Shift lever

had the same issue happen to me recently. the dorman part worked and im now back on the road. Until then I had to use a pair of vice grips to shift. The dorman part is made out of steel rather than the crappy material the original one was made out of. The dealership wanted to replace my entire steering column. get the part from amazon. i got if for like 30 bucks. works like a charm. good luck

Back