• Register Today It's free!

Hideaway sub install questions

Reaction score
City, State
Ludlow, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi guys,

I currently have a 2012 Explorer XLT with MFT and the standard audio package, so the low end is kind of missing. So I finally decided to add some low end to my stock system and am hoping for some advice if anyone has any experience in mounting a sub under the front seat(s).

Since I don't want to lose trunk space I started looking at the Kicker 11HS8 hideaway sub (I get it through work very cheap). My question is does anyone know how they sound and if they make a difference? I am not looking at being heard 10 blocks away and just was to hear clean bass that maybe shakes the seat back a little bit, but not horribly. Also isnit better to install one or two and do I need any special modifications to power them effectively.

Thank you in advance guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any subwoofer will make a difference in the lows.

However, I'd recommend at least a 10 inch if you want a lower range.

You can also do this, which I would recommend:
Ford-Explorer-Stealthbox-Subwoofer-2011-Driven-Audio.jpg

Thanks for the quick response. I was looking into that one, but they were all around 600.00. I was considering the Kicker hideaways because through my work I could order them directly from Kicker for only 112.00 each. Just don't know if they are worth it

I'm not a fan of 8 inch subs. They don't pound as hard as larger subs.
I don't think that Kicker is worth it, you can get a used system that would be much better for that price.

If you buy the $600 one, you'll always be able to sell it later on. And it would look stock.

After a lot of back and forth I ended up with 2 of the Kicker Hideaways, solely because the Kicker rep was able to get me both for only $115 which I couldn't resist. He is willing to get me a similar deal on more speakers so now I am considering replacing the stock speakers as well (if I can figure out the size and what kicker models I need). I'll post pics and updates once I get the sub's installed though.

Sounds good.
The 2 8's should sound pretty good as long as you give them a proper crossover point.

I ended up trading in my XLT and picking up a 2014 Sport, which has delayed this install but I am installing them on Saturday. Now I neednto research fixing the horrible sound the Sony system provides overall. Compared to the XLT it has almost no volume and is just too quiet. So I am also trying to figure out how to do a speaker replacement and if I need to add an additional multi channel sub. Updates to come this weekend.

You could run an amp to the door speakers, but the head unit itself probably ruins sound quality. I'm not sure how the 2014 Sport sound system is put together, but head units usually ruin the sound before it gets to the speakers..

Had the Kickers installed for a few days now and they sound amazing. I will take pictures when I can get time, with the weathertech mats you can't even tell they are there.

The funny part is I brought my car in to the dealer today to sign some paperwork and half the staff came out and kept asking on how to get them in their cars.

Was definitely a worthy improvement and now I am focusing on upgrading the rest of the audio system.

Awesome! I'd love to hear them. The old small 8 inch kickers had a really nice punch to them.

If you buy the $600 one, you'll always be able to sell it later on. And it would look stock.

The only problem, if you want to call it a problem, with the Stealthbox is that you need to cut the trim piece over the OEM sub in order to get the Stealthbox to fit. I'm not sure if this is a replaceable part (just the trim piece) or if the entire panel would need to be replaced in order to go back to stock. Just a thought. I've got a Stealthbox on order and once I get it in I'll know for sure how difficult (read: expensive) it will be to go back to stock if you want to sell the Stealthbox some time down the road.

Tony

I don't know if you could do something like this in yours. It took a hell of a lot of work. Finding the parts, cutting, sealing @ making shims.
cc14e5ec38674d1ba51f8093e56877f5.jpg

64954f5fc4c9fb29ff42f0475eaf0881.jpg

I highly recommend Kicker. But stay away from their yellow line (made for walmart)

RCA's run under the box to the carpet under rear seats and up front from there. Also have the. 4AWG power wire running the same way. The hardest was running the wires & delikit video cable through the tail gate hinge for the camera. Getting those clean,hidden & safe from pinching was a ***** ;-)

But yes for the short run from under the rear seat carpet to the amp I have them inside the door frame pillar.

Back