The everything Aviator thread. | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The everything Aviator thread.

Installed the 8 new Accel coils and the truck runs buttery smooth now! They were $173 shipped from Summit Racing and installed it about 15 minutes.

I'm more than a little let down at the Lincoln dealer for pushing us out the door so quickly and insisting that the coils were fine. The obviously weren't - though we recently never had a check engine light to indicate a misfire. Regardless, Ford dealers are supposed to "stress test" the coils and it sounds like this goober wasn't.

The Accel coils promise increased performance and a higher energy spark. I have even seen dyno tests showing 5 HP gains. But honestly, I'm only expecting them to work like a normal coil. And at about $20/each shipped I can afford to buy a new set each year if that what it comes down to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2004 Aviator PO107 code

Hi guys, I recently purchased a 2004 Aviator to replace the 2002 Mountaineer I had for 9 tears until a little old lady decided to T bone me. Essentially the same vehicle with a few more amenities. I got 3 trouble codes last week. PO 402 EGR flow excessive, PO401 EGR flow insufficient and P1406 Differential pressure feedback sensor downstream hose off or plugged. I had a similar problem in the Mounty and knew it was the DPFE sensor. Unfortunately the sensor is built in to the EGR valve on this model so I replaced the whole unit. That took care of the 3 codes but now I have a new one. PO107 MAP sensor/BARO sensor low input. I am a bit confused due to the fact this vehicle does not have a map sensor but rather a mass air flow sensor. I have checked and rechecked my electrical and vacuum connections at the EGR valve and all is fine. I clear the code but it continues to return. Has anyone seen this problem before or can anyone offer me any advice? Thank you.
Paul

When you replaced the EGR valve, did you happen to bump any connectors loose? I'm not familiar with the EGR setup on the Aviator, so I can't be of too much help. I would suggest taking a close look around where you were working and make sure everything is plugged in. Usually a hard code like that right after a repair is because something is left unplugged.

Benjam :D

Aviator "bottom end knock" source?

Since there is no Aviator sub-forum I guess I'll post my question here.

I purchased a 2003 Aviator long block to install into a 2002 or 2003 Explorer. The Aviator was brought in to a tune-up shop because of a bottom end knock and the engine was swapped out to fix the knock. The mechanic who performed the swap is no longer employed at the shop so I have no details.

I'm aware of the driver side head cooling problem that was fixed in the 2005 models but have read that the inferior cooling after many years resulted in an upper "tick" instead of a lower knock. I haven't even pulled the spark plugs yet but there was no oil pan on the block so I looked for bent rods and didn't see any. From you Aviator owner's experience (or any other modular 4 valve 4.6L engine owners) is a bad rod bearing more likely than a bad main bearing?

Edit: I found the source of the reported "low end knock". Rod bearings 6 and 7 have been spinning for quite a while: Rod bearing failures

Micahdogg did the new coils fix your problem? I am having troubles with #3 as well. Replaced coil and plug....no change. Still misfiring. My codes are p0316 and p0303. Trying to figure out what to do next....arg

Just wondered if anyone has found an online resource for Aviator shop manuals?

Found a few on eBay for around $50, but I'd rather sink the $50 into the truck if there's a free (and mostly legal) resource to be found anywhere.

Appreciate all the good information in this thread. Thanks for sharing!

Aviator wiring diagrams

See the following post by koda2000 for online wiring diagrams and shop manual data: Auto Repair Reference

I couldn't find an electronic copy of the workshop manual online so I purchased a paper copy.
WorkshopManuals.jpg

It is enormous but a lot of the engine remove/install section pages are duplications of the same information and the level of detail is not as good as I have in my 2000 Sport workshop manual. Also, there is very little theory/design information. I'm having a difficult time determining the purpose and direction of flow for the goofy cooling system tubes and hoses.
Installation of the camshaft timing components (sprockets, chains, guides & tensioners) and timing of the camshafts: 4.6L 4V CAMSHAFT DRIVE KIT

If anyone understands the cooling system I could use some help installing an Aviator long block with a Mach 1 intake system into a 2003 Explorer.

Does anyone know what the stock spark plug should be in the aviator 4.6? I just pulled out Bosch platinums with the 4 prongs on the tip...never seen that style. Replacing with motorcraft and cleaned the injectors to see if I can cure this misfire that won't go away

Yep! Put in motorcraft plugs and ran BG fuel injector cleaner thru for 5 miles Viola! I got a new engine! CEL is off runs smoother than it ever has and I feel 300 horses again. I am amazed. I never believed in those products but I am a believer now. I was just getting ready to order a new injector because #3 was not hitting hard enough.....it is now!:D

I don't get in here & post often, mainly because I have been Explorer-less for a few years. However last November, I acquired an Explorer in a Tux :D and thought I'd share a couple pics of my new (to me) '03 Aviator.:)
6vCH3zPs.jpg

kJLH3zPs.jpg

It came to me with 133K on the clock, and has been very well maintained. In fact, the previous owner had recently done the timing chains & tensioners...the engine runs perfect! The rear end has a slight whine, which doesn't seem to be getting worse, but I do need to look at it soon. The only two things that don't work are the reverse sensor system & the DVD player, otherwise it's perfect!
Looking forward to many enjoyable miles with this one!

after driving and getting up to 40 it just wants to stay at that speed when I take my foot of the gas, when I come to a stop, engine starts shuttering and dies. These problems just started 2 days ago.
thanks for any help

2003 Lincoln Aviator

Sticking throttle plate or linkage?

Have you checked to see if the throttle plate is sticking open? If the throttle plate is sticking open then the TPS doesn't "tell" the PCM that the throttle is at idle and the torque converter may remain locked causing the engine to stall.

Hey country 22 that's funny I had been experience the same thing and CEL is on, I took it to the dealer and they said it was the pcv hose, I went to buy it and check it out and found out it was all bent,also the old one was flat and as soon as I wieggle it around I could hear the vacuum sucking air. I changed yesterday and reset the pcm now I am waiting to see if it will stop the problem.
Wants to share with you guys this since the dealer now charge me diagnostic on every problem the car has, the fee is $100 per diagnostic, what ripp off, it used to be $100 for visit it didn't matter how many problems they have to check and if you fix any of them you didn't pay the diagnostic, it was waived but not now.

...I took it to the dealer and they said it was the pcv hose, I went to buy it and check it out and found out it was all bent,also the old one was flat and as soon as I wieggle it around I could hear the vacuum sucking air.

There also is a good "how-to" on this back on page 8 in this thread, post #159 . For anyone needing to do this repair.:)

Hi Guys, I have a 04 Aviator and get a p0660 code, which is computer output to intake tune motor open. Where is the harness and plug to motor located. I've owned this truck since early 06. Haven't had to many problems over the years. I've replaced coils with MSDs, plugs with Motorcrafts, both front hubs and pads and rotors, rear pads and rotors, and the epcv tube. Truck has 120k on it. I do all the work myself. So if anyone can explain where this plug is,it would help alot. I haven't really looked to hard for it yet. Thanks in advance.
Rick

C1286 location

According to my wiring diagrams C1286 connects to the Intake Manifold Communication Control - Long Short Runner Control (IMCC-LSRC) module. It is located at the upper rear of the intake manifold toward the passenger side.

According to my wiring diagrams C1286 connects to the Intake Manifold Communication Control - Long Short Runner Control (IMCC-LSRC) module. It is located at the upper rear of the intake manifold toward the passenger side.

Hey thanks alot 2000StreetRod. Checked it out and thet mod is bad. Has good ground and 12v to it. Grounded #3 and it wouldn't move. Can move runners by hand without it on it. Pain to get to,but not as bad as my tbird SC's are to work on.
Thanks again
Rick:thumbsup:

sorry I should of come back sooner, I had a hole in one of my air hoses, It was making the engine run like a ghost was operating it, put some electrical tape around the hose and I'm good to go. I was so so shocked at first I wasn't paying attention to the squealing.

fyi wheel bearings on an aviator, front wheels easy, rear wheels you might have to take to a machine shop to get cut out and hammered out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys changed the pcv hose and after 3 days CEL is off and car running and idling fine

Back