• Register Today It's free!

Advance Trac problem

WOODSLEY_HUNTER

Reaction score
City, State
St. Charles, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I have an '02 EB Explorer, V8. I purchased it new.The "CHECK AVDTRAC" message as well as the little car symbol came on a few times when it was under warranty but the dealership was unable to find the source of the problem. Over the years the problem has gotten worse. Now the warning comes on all the time. I believe that it is related to the brake system but I am not sure where to start looking. I came to this conclusion because the warning will display when stopped, in are out of Park, just by pressing the brake pedal down just a little. There are times though when it will come on while driving when I lift my foot off the brake pedal. The system seems to work ok. When slippery driving conditions due exist, and the warning hasn't come on, the little car icon will come on and then go away like it is supposed to when there is actual tire slippage. I have looked at 50 pages of posts as well as searched for Advance Trac posts but did not see any with these systems. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this issue. This forum is a valuable source of information.

Chuck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when mine did that, it gradually got worse with time, eventually the abs would come on when braking around corners. I also had a bad wheel bearing, got the bearing fixed, and a new abs sensor on that wheel and it fixed everything.

Check your wheel abs sensors, they give wheel speed input for abs brakes but also for advance trac

Would the abs sensors cause a warning when the car isn't moving? It does it when it is in PARK and you put your foot on the brake to move the selector into Drive.

Thanks

I have a similar issue in my 2005 EXT Sport w/ 4.0L, when I turn the key off, right before the message center goes blank, the display flashes "CHECK ADVANCE TRAC" and beeps. It doesnt always do this and I cannot seem to find any pattern that would cause it. e.g being on slippery roads or any other conditions that would could the Advance Trac to be used. I have talked to the dealer and they have no idea and the computer has been scanned and it does not have any error codes.

wish I could help, but I can only say I've had it happen a few times as well, but only when I'm driving, and a restart always clears it. 2002 was the first year for advance trac, but it was a late option availablity, and I think it was only offered with the V8, so it's a rare feature. One thing to note is that the Advance trac came with brakeforce distribution, which helps boost braking power in a panic stop situation. I'm assuming there is a sensor on the brake pedal that works with BFD and the Advance trac, and there is a possibility it is causing your issues.

I had my brake master cylinder replaced a couple years ago under warranty because the brakes were spongy, and I've not experienced the warning since then.

Thanks for the replies. I will check for a sensor there. I saw an earlier post that mentioned a brake power assist sensor somewhere inside the interrior. Are you familiar with that? It seems that the problem has some connection to the brake system since it will activate when sitting in park and pushing the brake pedal down. The adv trac works correctly when the wheels slip while driving.
Thanks again

Since these sensors are an active component can i check them using an ohm meter?? looks like that would be an easy process

I have my Ford Explorer XLT 2005 83000mi and the Advance Trac Light is always on and the message in the console any help

I have a similar issue in my 2005 EXT Sport w/ 4.0L, when I turn the key off, right before the message center goes blank, the display flashes "CHECK ADVANCE TRAC" and beeps. It doesnt always do this and I cannot seem to find any pattern that would cause it. e.g being on slippery roads or any other conditions that would could the Advance Trac to be used. I have talked to the dealer and they have no idea and the computer has been scanned and it does not have any error codes.

This problem has been addressed in a TSB that calls for replacing the instrument cluster with a revised one with new software. Mine does it too. I am not going to spend money on it as it is not really an issue to me right now.

Back