Aerostar van rotors vs. Explorer rotors. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aerostar van rotors vs. Explorer rotors.

92exp4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Covington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL 2-door and others
I looked up rotors on Rockauto, and they list a right and left for the Aerostar but Explorers are same side-to-side. Anyone know the reason for a left or right rotor? These are not drilled/slotted units.

I was more curious though; if I could use 1st gen 2WD Explorer rotors on the van as the calipers are the same between the two. I have a set of these stocked for my Explorers.

I have yet to physically compare the parts next to each other, or place an Explorer rotor in a van wheel; but it appears that they are the same except for the diameter of the rotor's wheel mounting surface. Clearance for a 14" wheel verses 15"? The Explorer rotor mount surface is roughly .2 inches wider diameter according to the specs on Rockauto. All other specs are a difference of .01 or the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting... I will post my findings.

someone posted that ford put rotors with directional cooling fins on 1992 up areostars to improve brake cooling,so the fins would point in oppisite direction per side.

Finally had a chance to play with this. I ordered a rotor for the aerostar and put it next to a 2wd explorer rotor. I already had. The 14 inch aero wheels will not fit the explorer hub of the rotor I have. The wheel center hole is slightly smaller diameter. Aside from other minor differences, this is the one that keeps it from working. If one was to use the 15 in exp wheels then it would be no issue swap.

This answers the question I posted and the question of right to left was answered in a previous post about brake cooling. I think the difference would be neglegile, but a difference non the less.

Over on the FTE forum, someone got special rotors from a place called Brake Performance, says they're a big improvement. They're slotted and drilled, and the premium ones are also dimpled. Of course, the og ones are tiny to fit the factory 14" rims.

Back