• Register Today It's free!

5.0L V8 ticking noise info.

FiveLiter

Reaction score
City, State
Flint, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 5.0L
I know ther have been more than a few people on the board with this problem so I wanted to pass this info. along.

I recently had my '98 XLT checked out by a local mechanic. My complaint; a ticking noise (mostly when accelerating) coming from the engine until it got warmed up. With little more than hearing it run, he said it was a faulty oil pump. When asked if it could possibly be something else, he said no, not really (he also claimed to know a lot about Ford 5.0 V8's too). The cost: $1400.

Knowing I needed to take the ole X in for some warranty work anyway, I had them check out the noise. As it turns out, what the problem really was was a leaking EGR tube and valve. The cost: $267.55.

I guess sometimes it pays to have the dealership check things out. The morale here, obviously, is that things aren't always as they seem, especially when you're talking about noises coming from engines. I hope this help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if its ticking (5liter explorer), then it will be one of 2 things.

1) leaking EGR tube

2) leaking passenger side exhaust manifold gasket

i have no idea why the passenger side is the main one that leaks. when i first bought my truck, i noticed that the passenger side was torqued to about 5ft.lbs. :rolleyes: driver's side never came loose...... go figure.

I also get a ticking from the engine, but only on hard acceleration. Sounds similar to shaking the PCV.

Could this be related to the EGR or Manifold? The X has had a lack of power for the last year, and the ticking on hard acceleration started at this time.

yes, it will either be a cracked EGR tube or a manifold/header gasket. your leak is small which is why you only hear it when on the gas hard.

I have already replaced the EGR valve, but not the DPFE or EGR Solenoid yet. The EGR Tube which connects to the manifold seemed fine, but the clicking is coming from that general area.

What is the best way to test which part is leaking?

Would this also cause a performance problem?

The X hasn't performed that well for the last year, and I've been trying to fix it. I haven't and 7 shops haven't been able to find my perfromance problem. Usually the problem is re-accelerating when RPM's are under 2200-2500. It labors just to get up to speed, and is a lot worse on any form of incline.

Thanks for the help.

the best way is to use a stethescope. the leak should not cause a noticeable performance loss.

Originally posted by V8-X
I also get a ticking from the engine, but only on hard acceleration. Sounds similar to shaking the PCV.

Could this be related to the EGR or Manifold? The X has had a lack of power for the last year, and the ticking on hard acceleration started at this time.
This is EXACTLY the problem I have. My X is going to the shop (not a dealer; a place I trust) in the morning. I'll let you guys know what they say afterwards.

Willie,
what was the outcome?

Ticking noise

I also noticed a ticking noise that I hadn't heard before I changed plugs/wires/camshaft sync. I read here somewhere to check for a loose plug as a possibility and found that one of the plug wires was not fully seated. This seems to have fixed the problem. The issue is further obfuscated by the fact that at about the same time, the CEL came on with a 401 EGR code, so It could have been that as well.

I've reseated the plug wire and checked all plugs for a tight fit. The noise is gone. I reset the CEL and am waiting to see if that comes back on. It probably will. Just goes to show how easily one can be misled by similar symptoms for differing problems.

The AB manifold tube (to EGR) is $22.79 at Rock Auto.

Back