Interior Spare Tire Rack By CBoug76 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Spare Tire Rack By CBoug76

OK, Guys I have Done it!
Yes, I have an interior Spare Tire Rack.
There is only 1 drawback that I have found, you can no longer have your cargo cover shade.(I plan on looking into getting this back by shortening it someday.)

Dead Link Removed

Installation Instruction
Step 1
Remove carpet. (This can be done one of 2 ways: a) unhook the front edge that covers the jack handel arms, and peel it back, letting it hang over the rear bumper. b) Remove plastic threshold molding at bottom edge of rear opening, and remove the Entire carpet from the truck.)

Step 2
Remove both pasenger side cargo area tie downs.

Step 3
Remove screws that hold down plastic body panel on pasenger side of truck.

Step 4
Locate Spare Tire Rack Assemblyand place under the plastic body panel.

Dead Link Removed

Step 4
Notch plastic body panel around pipe, so that you can mount this as close to the outside as possible.

Dead Link Removed

Step 5
Drill holes to mount Spare Tire Rack Assembly.(Becarefull not to drill into Factory Spare Tire)

Step 6
Mount Spare Tire Rack Assembly with hardware, using a sealer on the underside of truck to prevent water from leaking in and rusting out your floor boards.(Silicone, RTV Sealant)

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Step 7
Re-Locate Cargo Area Tie Downs. using a screw driver and a hammer, punch a slot in the floor so that the tab of the tie down goes thru it. Then Drill 2 holes to bolt the tie down to the floor, and also seal with a sealer.

Step 8
Cut carpet to fit around pipe, and cut new holes for the cargo are tie downs to fit thru.

Step 9
Replace carpet.

Dead Link Removed

Step 10
Mount Spare Tire.

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks dam good to me. The only thing is I like to sleep in the X when camping. But that is a great and cheap idea.

How big is that tire? would a 33" tire fit there, what about a 35" tire?

I believe its a 265-75-R16.

You are Correct, it is a BFG AT ko, 265/75/R16.

Guys Remember that I have the Sport Model, and I believe that the 4 door models have a larger Cargo area then the Sport's have.

Right now the Tire is hitting the back of the rear seat. and it also rubs against the rear hatch. So If you have a 2 door Explorer, then you can NOT go with anything larger then this. But if you have a 4 door Explorer, Im sure you can go a little larger, just watch out for your Celing height.

doesn't putting the tire on the passengers side obstruct your view? holy blind spot batman! :exp: :banghead:

I know some of you are wondering how much of your view does this cut down, well here are some pictures from the drivers seat with and with out the tire.

By the way, You can STILL see out the Side Rear Window if you turn your head around while still sitting in the driver seat.

1-a) With Tire

Dead Link Removed

1-b) With out Tire

Dead Link Removed

2-a) With Tire

Dead Link Removed

2-b) With out Tire

Dead Link Removed

Back