Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
York, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer
The theme for the May Lottery is "A tribute to those we have lost"

Since May has the Memorial Day holiday (U.S.), we will be remembering those who have given the ultimate for our freedoms and safety. In addition, we can pay tribute to friends or family members whom we have lost.

For the May Lottery, submit a pic or video (videos have been added to the rules for submissions) of any type of memorial of a lost service member, firefighter, EMT, police officer or a lost friend or family member. This can include, but not limited to, pics or vids of a person, a memorial such as a veteran's cemetery, a plaque, a park or an item in a park named for a fallen person, a memory of a lost friend, etc.

This might be a hard month for the lottery with submissions, but I believe we should remember why we can go trailing and meeting friends with a small tribute to those who can't.

I was reading on the internet during the week of two cases, one was the discovery of the remains of soldiers who were buried alive in a trench in WW1 and the finding of graves of the fallen from WW2. Let's remember.

The drawing will take place on May 23rd. I will be in Moab during this timeframe, so the time of day will not be around noon like I normally try to have the drawing.

Rules for EF lottery.

Goal: To encourage members of the Explorer Forum to submit a photo in accordance with the theme and award one member with an one year elite membership.

Only one submission to be entered into the drawing per member. Submission can contain multiable pics and or video(s). Members are encouraged to post positive feedback about other submissions. Please keep in mind that this not a chat thread.

Special instructions, if any, will be posted at the beginning of each month's theme.

The lottery is also to have fun, so being sarcastic and somewhat of a smart alec in your submission is not only welcomed, but also encouraged. Keep in mind we are a family site.

Procedure:

Announce the theme for the present month, ending date, and drawing date.

Eligibly: All members (except sponsor) are eligible.

Awarding procedure: Primary: utilizing a bingo number roll cage, draw numbers one at a time and assign numbers to submitted photos. After all photos are assigned a number, remove all remaining numbers in cage and reinstall only numbers assigned to photos. Roll cage random number of spins, first number drawn is winner.
Secondary: Using single deck of cards, shuffle, then spread out face down, draw one card at a time and match to photo, after all photos are matched, reshuffle deck, spread out face down, and draw one card at a time until match to photo occurs and thus wins.

Notification of winner is thru PM to winner and Admin.

Can win once per calendar year.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So this was a random bit of America that I found in Pompeii, Italy, in fall of 2010, when I did a semester abroad in college. I almost cried in public in a foreign country over this especially given the reverence that the locals gave it:

image.jpg

When I attended both funerals of Boston Lt. Edward J. Walsh and FF Michael R. Kennedy.

Sorry for the sideways photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 515

IMG_20150403_112839138_HDR_Large_.jpg

Lost my Dad in March of this year. 33 years with San Diego Police Department, retired as a Commander in 1994. Died due to liver cancer caused by Hep C he got from 18 blood transfusions after being run over by a drunk driver while on a traffic stop in 1958.

These are some real good submissions thus far.

Brian, sorry to learn of your lost of your father. He faithfully served for many years in a field where many won't and I am sure his son made him proud by serving in public safety also. Didn't your Dad do some trailing with us at Truckhaven in October?

These are some real good submissions thus far.

Brian, sorry to learn of your lost of your father. He faithfully served for many years in a field where many won't and I am sure his son made him proud by serving in public safety also. Didn't your Dad do some trailing with us at Truckhaven in October?

Yes, he came out with my Mom. He was the guy in the 4-Runner. He did not do much trail because he wasn't feeling well. That was his last camping trip. He was the kind of father I have always strived to be, a friend and advisor.

Timothy 4
.7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

geurincoryryan_zpsziard1uo.jpg

This is a good friend of my cousin and I from high school. He treated everyone like family whether he had met you before or not. He played football, baseball, and wrestled and was what many would consider an "All-American" athlete. He joined the Marine Corps. right out of high school and was serving a tour in Babylon, Iraq. He was on patrol on the roof of a palace where the roof formed a maze to confuse would be invaders where he took a wrong turn in the dark and fell 60ft to his death. He was just 18 years young. He is buried here in San Diego, Ca at the military cemetery at Ft. Rosecrans.

geurincoryryan_zpsziard1uo.jpg

This is a good friend of my cousin and I from high school. He treated everyone like family whether he had met you before or not. He played football, baseball, and wrestled and was what many would consider an "All-American" athlete. He joined the Marine Corps. right out of high school and was serving a tour in Babylon, Iraq. He was on patrol on the roof of a palace where the roof formed a maze to confuse would be invaders where he took a wrong turn in the dark and fell 60ft to his death. He was just 18 years young. He is buried here in San Diego, Ca at the military cemetery at Ft. Rosecrans.

Thanks for sharing his story, to die at such a young age in a far away land is tragic. Now more people know of his sacrifice.

Let us not forget.

Got a picture from Høtorp Fort..
The fort is located in Mysen (the small town i live in)

Some copy/paste history:

The history of the fort:

After the Swedish-Norwegian union was dissolved in 1905, Norway had to accept demolishing the border fortifications, and the establishing of a de-militarized zone along the Swedish border. During 1906 the guns were removed, and the forts destroyed. This included the recent installations at Fredriksten fortress, but the main works here were allowed to be maintained as a historical monument. The Norwegian defence to the east suddenly was merely a number of open artillery positions along the west bank of Glomma River.

Planning of a new defence line started immediately after 1905. Plans were evaluated by a number of military and political committees, but in 1911 Stortinget (the Parliament) made the final conclusion to build the Fossumstrøket fortress. Construction works started in spring 1912, on the forts at Høytorp and Trøgstad, and in 1913 at the bridge galleries.

This fortress is the only offensive bridgehead ever planned and built in Norwegian military history. Together with a number of other fortifications it made a ring of defences around Kristiania (Oslo). The fortress was especially equipped to lead and support mobile army operations.

The first commanding officer, Colonel O.E. Jølsen, was accredited in 1915, and the same year the first artillery training school was established at Høytorp fort; from 1916 also at Trøgstad fort. The bridge galleries were ready in 1917, and in 1918 the fortress was declared officially open. Colonel Jølsen retired in 1929 and was followed by Col.Lt. L.A. Rodtwitt. The fortress was the only of its kind that survived the serious reductions in military capacity during the early 1930ies.

After WWII Col.Lt. H. Gudmundsen was commander until the fortress was officially abolished in 1959. The installations at Høytorp fort was from 1956 the main seat of the Army Transport Regiment up till 1994. Trøgstad fort was main command central for the Nike rocket battery at Havnås from 1960 until it was abolished in 1992. The fort was transferred to Trøgstad commune in 1997. Høytorp fort was declared protected as national monument in 2001, and was transferred to Eidsberg commune in 2003. The bridge galleries are still state property, administered by the National Fortifications foundation.

http://www.forthoytorp.com

Attachments

• 555563_10151545733041607_1817157486_n.jpg
    555563_10151545733041607_1817157486_n.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 376

My cousin Jack Wright was an officer in the Bradley Beach NJ Police Dept. He was killed in the line of duty Memorial Day 1976. Jack had just gone off shift at midnight and stopped at a local convenience store to see his fiancee who was working there. There was a robbery in progress. Jack chased the two men down the street a couple of blocks when one turned and shot him in the chest, he died shortly after at Jersey Shore Medical Center. Jack was also a US Navy veteran who served in Vietnam.
This is Jack's name on the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington,DC.

10402601_333325990151368_7863593753678556444_n.jpg

Got a picture from Høtorp Fort..
The fort is located in Mysen (the small town i live in)

Some copy/paste history:

The history of the fort:

After the Swedish-Norwegian union was dissolved in 1905, Norway had to accept demolishing the border fortifications, and the establishing of a de-militarized zone along the Swedish border. During 1906 the guns were removed, and the forts destroyed. This included the recent installations at Fredriksten fortress, but the main works here were allowed to be maintained as a historical monument. The Norwegian defence to the east suddenly was merely a number of open artillery positions along the west bank of Glomma River.

Planning of a new defence line started immediately after 1905. Plans were evaluated by a number of military and political committees, but in 1911 Stortinget (the Parliament) made the final conclusion to build the Fossumstrøket fortress. Construction works started in spring 1912, on the forts at Høytorp and Trøgstad, and in 1913 at the bridge galleries.

This fortress is the only offensive bridgehead ever planned and built in Norwegian military history. Together with a number of other fortifications it made a ring of defences around Kristiania (Oslo). The fortress was especially equipped to lead and support mobile army operations.

The first commanding officer, Colonel O.E. Jølsen, was accredited in 1915, and the same year the first artillery training school was established at Høytorp fort; from 1916 also at Trøgstad fort. The bridge galleries were ready in 1917, and in 1918 the fortress was declared officially open. Colonel Jølsen retired in 1929 and was followed by Col.Lt. L.A. Rodtwitt. The fortress was the only of its kind that survived the serious reductions in military capacity during the early 1930ies.

After WWII Col.Lt. H. Gudmundsen was commander until the fortress was officially abolished in 1959. The installations at Høytorp fort was from 1956 the main seat of the Army Transport Regiment up till 1994. Trøgstad fort was main command central for the Nike rocket battery at Havnås from 1960 until it was abolished in 1992. The fort was transferred to Trøgstad commune in 1997. Høytorp fort was declared protected as national monument in 2001, and was transferred to Eidsberg commune in 2003. The bridge galleries are still state property, administered by the National Fortifications foundation.

http://www.forthoytorp.com

This is a very interesting piece of information from the military history of Norway. Thanks for sharing with us.

My cousin Jack Wright was an officer in the Bradley Beach NJ Police Dept. He was killed in the line of duty Memorial Day 1976. Jack had just gone off shift at midnight and stopped at a local convenience store to see his fiancee who was working there. There was a robbery in progress. Jack chased the two men down the street a couple of blocks when one turned and shot him in the chest, he died shortly after at Jersey Shore Medical Center. Jack was also a US Navy veteran who served in Vietnam.
This is Jack's name on the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington,DC.

View attachment 83788

Police officers such as your cousin is why we get to go home to our own beds. :salute: (wish we had an LEO or firefighter salute icon)

We must remember those who have given their lives in the line of duty.

*******not eligible for lottery**********

But I had to share this one anyway.

The USS ARLINGTON. Named after the county in which the Pentagon is in. The is a well deck ship that I was on for some testing between NASA and the Navy.

0b09143645c4c048518fa2cadf0905f6.jpg

The one red side of the Pentagon represents the side of the building that was hit. And of course the date and the towers composing the 11. In the captains office was a piece of the Pentagon.

This entire ship is a living, working, fighting memorial.

*******not eligible for lottery**********

But I had to share this one anyway.

The USS ARLINGTON. Named after the county in which the Pentagon is in. The is a well deck ship that I was on for some testing between NASA and the Navy.

0b09143645c4c048518fa2cadf0905f6.jpg

The one red side of the Pentagon represents the side of the building that was hit. And of course the date and the towers composing the 11. In the captains office was a piece of the Pentagon.

This entire ship is a living, working, fighting memorial.

That is just freaking awesome!! :salute:

Even not high in number of submissions for this month, all that have been submitted are just outstanding.

The drawing will take place tomorrow, but I cant give an exact time, if we come back off the trail early, the drawing will take place in late afternoon, if there is not enough time before the dinner at the Branding Iron, it will take place late evening.

Congrats to BKennedy, winner of the May EF Lottery! :salute:

IMG_20150403_112839138_HDR_Large_.jpg

Lost my Dad in March of this year. 33 years with San Diego Police Department, retired as a Commander in 1994. Died due to liver cancer caused by Hep C he got from 18 blood transfusions after being run over by a drunk driver while on a traffic stop in 1958.

Thanks. Bittersweet, but still...............I WON SOMETHING!!!!

I just bumped your Elite subscription up for another year.

I am very glad that I was able to know your father.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back