Does a 93 Explorer XLT 4x4 NO EGR Have a CMP??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does a 93 Explorer XLT 4x4 NO EGR Have a CMP???

compton6974

Reaction score
City, State
Petawawa, ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Just wondering if a 93 has a Cam Postioning Sensor or not?? Have a spare 92 Explorer Engine and i know it does not have one, so hopefully the 93 does not as well!!!

And also would a 92 Computer work on a 93??? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been trying to find the answer to the exact same question for
two days.. Exept I have a 94 4.0

So, according to Autozones website (and I quote)
"1991-93 and 1991-95 4.0 (VIN X) engines did not use CMP sensors"

It goes on to say that 1994 2.3l California engines did.

My Hanes manual does back this info up, you have to read it carefully.
My X flashes a cel code 214 constantlly, (CID something something)
and it points to a possible bad Crankhaft pos. sensor.
I tried to verify the lack of a cmp sensor by calling two other parts houses to
see if they had a sensor in stock, both said they dont show a cmp for a 94
Thats as far as ive gone with it. Anyone?

I would say yes.

Part from Autozone for 1994 EB EX:

Duralast / Crankshaft Position Sensor
Warranty - 2 YR SU264 $35.99

1994 Ford Truck Explorer 2WD 4.0L MFI

Yes to which sensor Mawrazen?

As stated in my post, the Crankshaft sensor is used but our model does not
use a Camshaft sensor... (Camshaft sensor=CMP)

My local Autozone wants 38.99 for the Crank sensor...

Is that what your trying to say?

Thanks

Thanks for all the replys!! I see the spot u are talking about where a distributor would be but there is no electrical sensor coming out of it at all?? Would that still be it?

From Advance Auto website:

Crankshaft Position Sensor

For vehicle: 1993 FORD EXPLORER V6 4.0 Liter FI

6 parts found.

Product Description Availability * Price

Part No.
CSS551 BWD Automotive Crankshaft Sensor
Crankshaft Sensor:
Warranty: Limited 1 Year*

Ships in 2 days
$54.99

Part No.
CSS15P BWD Automotive SENSOR CRANKSHAFT POSITIN BWD
OE Style; Sensor

Buy online,
pickup today!
Ships in 1 day
$36.98

Part No.
CSS15 BWD Automotive Crankshaft Sensor
Crankshaft Sensor:

Ships in 2 days
$73.99

Part No. CSS13 BWD Automotive Crankshaft Sensor
Crankshaft Sensor:

Ships in 2 days
$54.99

Part No.
FF440D Niehoff Ignition Crankshaft Sensor
Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor:

Ships in 1 day
$48.99

Part No.
PC14 Standard Motor Products Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor Bracket
Crankshaft Position Sensor:

Ships in 5 days
$74.99

91-92 no Cam pos sensor
93 ONLY CA or later year productions have cam position sensor

my 93 OHV engine did NOT have EGR or the CAM sensor
I have seen a few 93's that DO have EGR and the cam sensor

94+ has egr and cam sensor

If you are putting a 93 engine into a 92 truck you NEED to keep the 92 computer, the 93+ has two 02 sensors
Keep your 92 sensors and exhaust, if the 93 block is fitted with a cam sensor just forget about it (dont wire it up) and you will be golden

You can use any OHV donor from 91-2001 in your truck, you just want to take it down to the lower intake and heads, use your 92 fuel rail, accessory brackets, intakes, engine mount plates, etc

Maw, we gotcha buddy. The crank po's are on there!

But he's lookin for a CAMshaft pos sensor.

The Cam Position Sensor - To Be or Not to Be?

Happy New Year Explorer Owners!

I read an older post below Aug 2000 by "FORTUNE410" the following:
"93 ONLY CA or later year productions have cam position sensor"
"my 93 OHV engine did NOT have EGR or the CAM sensor
I have seen a few 93's that DO have EGR and the cam sensor"

SO, given some contradictions to the subsequent responses...the questions are:

1) HOW do we know for sure which "few" had the pricey Cam Sensors installed? Does it go by VIN/month veh made? What is "vin X"? One mechanic pointed to some wires and said they lead to the camshaft sensor, but never looked to verify it was there. Seemed suspicious to me that he didn't show me with a mirror when I asked him to visually confirm. It is supposedly on the rear of the block squeezed close to the engine fire wall. Which begs the next question,

2) Could I pull it myself with a mirror? What tools will I need? Is it easily damaged? How? Also, I understand a P214 points to sensors NOT a possible wiring issue, unless the wire leads to the sensor that encompases p214. Is this correct? If, so, would it be a waste of $$ to have an electrical expert do a electrical check for $45 - 60 dollars (or whatever can be negotiated). I am ok with doing it myself, but only if someone can point me to a great instructional manual that is affordable and comprehensive.

3) If the truck runs so well (like mine) with it still pulling a P214 error code pointing to either the cam or crankshaft position sensors (since I understand this code does not point to a particular sensor), are we Explorer owners sucking it up and paying about $800 to replace to just clear the engine light? This does not make sense...there must be a solution by pulling the camshaft sensor, cleaning it, and putting it back on. Maybe I am not as educated about this, but is the only consequence to a seemingly well running truck (with a bad CAM sensor) poor gas mileage?

4) What happens, besides not getting the engine light to turn off, if you ran the truck with a bad sensor given my 93 explorer runs fine? Are other parts wearing faster with a bad sensor?

Any mechanics out there that have come across this? What are my chances that if I replace just the crankshaft sensor, the P214 code will clear? I could live with testing this crank sensor first (assuming Autzone website walks us through this?), but this is, of course, an option I could afford (and hope for!!);)

Thanks!!

all the 4.0s have the cam sensor.. which is a timing sensor for the DIS, it is where the distributor would normally be on the back of the motor, even has a shaft with a drive gear that runs off of the cam just like a distributor. in actuallity it is a glorified distributor. the cam sensor itself is bolted to the top of the 'shaft'. installation of the shaft requires a cam alingment tool to get it within spec for it to run.

all the 4.0s have the cam sensor.. which is a timing sensor for the DIS, it is where the distributor would normally be on the back of the motor, even has a shaft with a drive gear that runs off of the cam just like a distributor. in actuallity it is a glorified distributor. the cam sensor itself is bolted to the top of the 'shaft'. installation of the shaft requires a cam alingment tool to get it within spec for it to run.

Thats where it would be, but not all of the 4.0 OHV motors have them. I have a '91 sitting on the ground and a '92 motor in our X and they do NOT have a cam sensor. both have a crank sensor though.

~Mark

is the cam synchronizer there, the 'shaft', if not what is in its spot? doesnt the gear on the bottom of the synchro shaft help drive the oil pump? or am i getting confuzzled?

There is a cover where it would go (Cam sensor). I don't remember seeing anything down that hole but I can take a look at the '91 motor that is sitting on ground in the morning..
Its been a while since we build the motor thats in the '92 (just over a year now.. and I've slept since then so details are fuzzy, but I don't remember messing with any shaft there..)but there is a shaft for the oil pump that you get to when you put in the oil pump.

~Mark

My X flashes a cel code 214 constantlly, (CID something something)
and it points to a possible bad Crankhaft pos. sensor.

If the truck runs so well (like mine) with it still pulling a P214 error code pointing to either the cam or crankshaft position sensors (since I understand this code does not point to a particular sensor), are we Explorer owners sucking it up and paying about $800 to replace to just clear the engine light?

My 94 X was giving me a consistent CEL a while back with code 214, but ran well otherwise. Cleaning my dirty MAF and ugly battery connections fixed it for good.

okay maybe I can help a bit here

91-92 have a single 02 sensor, EGR, no CAM sensor
93 has NO EGR, NO CAM sensor (Does have a crank sensor, all 4.0L's do) two 02 sensors
94+ has EGR, CAM sensor, two 02 sensors
95+ has plastic intakes
96+ is OBD-II obviously, 8 bolt crank
98+ has returnless style fuel system

SOME 93 trucks do have EGR and a CAM sensor, not all of them but some (my guess is CA trucks and later year 93 got the EGR back and the CAM sensor with it

You cannot use a 91-92 computer on a 93 engine, well I mean you could, but why? the 93-94 computer is better.

91-92 had a knock sensor also, some still had a MAP sensor and they used a single 02 sensor

My 2ea, 93 engines had no EGR and no CAM sensor, I loved that sucker! its now in Froaders truck :)

Finding a sensor

Hello, I want to confirm that my 93 4.0l has the Cam Position Sensor, and I live in California, so that seems to fit with what has been posted before. My question is though, where the heck can I buy a replacment, tried all the normal places, autozone, napa, advanced, kragens, and then some, nobody seems to have access to them. I also check all the places listed in this forum, even Amazon and they have a picture that looks right, but don't have any available. I guess I can get one from a junk yard, but would prefer to get a new one, or one that I know before hand works. Thanks

Have to try ford I guess.

Or Fastpartsnetwork.com. The owner is a member and sells oem ford parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m a first time poster and I can’t believe the wealth of information that I’ve found here. My son blew the head gaskets on a ’94 4.0 with 194,000 miles, VIN:1FMOU34X0RUB14595. We found another engine. The original was stamped 11L93 and the replacement was stamped 23J92. The original had a CMP and the replacement didn’t. Everything else was identical. The Haynes manual had a lengthy procedure for aligning it. Much of this depended upon the position of the pointer at the top of the CMP. We couldn’t see squat through the plastic so we set both engines to TDC, scribed the CMP relative to something on the block, and removed and installed it in the new block as close as we could.
The car runs great, but it’s throwing a 214 code. Since the CMP is like a distributor, could we advance or retard it? How would we gauge our success? I don’t think that the CMP is bad but it is possible (probable) that it’s misaligned. The engine didn’t need a CMP when it was in it’s original body so is it doing anything besides setting the code? Is there any way to cheat the wires going to the CMP sensor or should I just look for a ’92 brain? Of course, here’s the million dollar question, can I just unplug the CMP?
Thanks,
Frank

Back