Light doesn't work on my gear shifter ('07), easy fix? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Light doesn't work on my gear shifter ('07), easy fix?

AllFiredUp

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Arrowhead (Waleska), GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer 4.0L 2WD
I've got an '07 Explorer Eddie Bauer and the gear shift position indicator (PRNDL) light has stopped working. I'm hoping it's just a bulb that needs replacing. The Owner's Manual lists the specs of a few hundred bulbs and fuses scattered around the vehicle, just not the one I need!

Before I continue, I should mention that the warranty expired long ago. It's barely three years old but has 118,000 miles on it! :D

Have any of you guys had the same problem? I'm wondering how easy it is to access the location of the light? Do you get to it from the top side (by removing the base/trim of the shifter somehow...or does that section of the console have to be removed? Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated!

I love the new interior design (compared to the '04 XLT I had before) but there are a few minior things they overlooked. A redundant gear shift indicator in the instrument panel is one of them! Every other vehicle I've ever driven with a floor mounted shifter showed the gear selected next to the shifter itself (like mine) AND in the instrument panel also.

I probably seem really petty letting this irritate me so much, but it's only because I can't find anything else wrong with it! :D:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cant add much value for replacing the bulb... but lets see if I understand correctly.

In the 4th gens with the console shifter, the PRND12 is displayed by the shifter AND in below the Speedo? And the one below the speedo does not do anything?

Seems cheesy to me!

I've got an '07 Explorer Eddie Bauer and the gear shift position indicator (PRNDL) light has stopped working. I'm hoping it's just a bulb that needs replacing. The Owner's Manual lists the specs of a few hundred bulbs and fuses scattered around the vehicle, just not the one I need!

Before I continue, I should mention that the warranty expired long ago. It's barely three years old but has 118,000 miles on it! :D

Have any of you guys had the same problem? I'm wondering how easy it is to access the location of the light? Do you get to it from the top side (by removing the base/trim of the shifter somehow...or does that section of the console have to be removed? Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated!

I love the new interior design (compared to the '04 XLT I had before) but there are a few minior things they overlooked. A redundant gear shift indicator in the instrument panel is one of them! Every other vehicle I've ever driven with a floor mounted shifter showed the gear selected next to the shifter itself (like mine) AND in the instrument panel also.

I probably seem really petty letting this irritate me so much, but it's only because I can't find anything else wrong with it! :D:salute:

Did you find out what bulb it takes? Mine is out also and I want to get the bulb before I take the console apart!
Thanks

You really rack up the miles quickly. On a side question, have you had any drivetrain problem at all?

Racking up miles...

You really rack up the miles quickly. On a side question, have you had any drivetrain problem at all?

Actually, I can't take sole credit for all of those miles. It was originally my best friend's company vehicle. In 15 months, he put 72,000 miles on it! In the subsequent two years, I've racked up 46,000 more.

When he got it new, it had a sticker price of $35k and change. I bought it 15 months later with 72k miles for $15,750! SWEET DEAL!

The '05 Explorer XLT 4x4 that I had it prior to my '07 Eddie Bauer was also his company vehicle. It was close to two years old and had just over 80k miles and only cost 11k! And the Fusion SEL V6 that he got after the '07 EB now belongs to my mom and dad...they paid barely $10k for it with 64k miles on it.

He even let me spec out my EB when he originally got to order it back in late '06. The only let-down was the exterior color- I picked Red Fire Metallic and ended up with Dark Cherry Metallic instead...but it's grown on me.

As for drivetrain problems, I've had ZERO mechanical issues! :D It's a 4x2, which simplifies things (although my '05 4x4 has over 160k with no probs). And the 4.0L V6/5-speed auto are pretty much bulletproof in my experience.

Haven't figured it out yet!

Did you find out what bulb it takes? Mine is out also and I want to get the bulb before I take the console apart!
Thanks

One service/parts guy at the Ford dealership claimed that the bulb couldn't be replaced??? The only fix was to replaced the entire shifter, what a joke!

I plan to pull the console soon (maybe this weekend) and figure out what it needs. When I do, I'll let you know!

Even though Ferd may not sell it they do not make bulbs so someone else makes it and sells it. Take it apart and see what bulb it is.
I had to do this with a few bulbs in my 1998 Grand Marquis. Headlight switch, Digital dash and some other stuff.

And be careful whigh you use- LED's or a brighter bulb will create a really bright distraction. I replaced the bulb in my SHO which fit, but was a brighter bulb, and it was way too bright, and I had to take it apart and replace it with the correct one.

Back