Catalytic Converter Replacement Necessary? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Catalytic Converter Replacement Necessary?

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
I was wondering how much of a job it is to replace a catlytic converter on my '97 Explorer 4.0L SOHC? Someone recently mentioned to me that it's an $800 job replacing the whole system because it's a Y-shape and you can't just replace the catalytic converter alone. I haven't gone under there to see set-up. Is this true? The car has almost 160K miles on it with a number of other things that need repair. Is it even worth fixing? It's probably only worth about $1,500. What harm would I cause driving around like this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked up mine (5.0l ) at Advance a/p and they are asking about $400 for the two converters as a complete bolt on set. It's safe to assume that the bolts are rusted and will require some persuasion.

As far as your vehicle being worth $1,500, that depends on what value you put on it. If you kept up the maintenance then it could be an exceptional one. I look at the fact that mine cost about $60 per month in up keep and some elbow grease and don't think of it as an investment but an expense (cost of driving). Not bad!

What harm would I do if I kept driving it with a bad cat?

Why replace?

I have 151,000 miles on my Sport with SOHC. Each bank downpipe has as O2 sensor then a catalytic converter then another O2 sensor. There is a cross pipe (equalizer) after the cats. The pipe from each bank feeds into a dual input/single output muffler. I thought the Y system was used on the OHV engines and not the SOHC engines.

Why are you considering replacing the cats? I've read that many last for more than 200,000 miles - especially if the fuel mixture has been properly controlled. If you have an after cat O2 sensor then you'll get a DTC when the cat is no longer effective. I plan to replace my exhaust system in the next year or two because I want to experiment with a progressive dual pipe/muffler system. Otherwise, I wouldn't replace the cats until they fail.

Are you sure it's bad. Does it smell like sulfer when running? Is the cat glowing?

Over time a bad fuel mixture wich could cause engine damage and carbon build up.

There are aftermarket cats for around $100 that have to be welded in but I guess you know that.

I know it's the catalytic converter because my "check engine" light has been on for months. I scanned the code, replaced the O2 sensor and nothing. So it's gotta be the cat.

I know it's the catalytic converter because my "check engine" light has been on for months. I scanned the code, replaced the O2 sensor and nothing. So it's gotta be the cat.

There are alot of O2 sensor related codes, and replacing the sensor isn't always the repair neccessary to fix the code. Can you post the code number?

You wouldn't want to replace the converter if your only problem was a vacuum leak or a bad wire. You would be right back at square one with the same code.

i have this issue - got the P0420 code. i hae had fuel mix issues and at 212k, it makes sense for me. 1999 Exploder 4.0 SOHC. did the upstream O2s with no joy. i heard if you run some chemicals (Lacquer Thinner) through the system (AKA run the car for 150 miles - tank and motor) this can bring it back a bit... is this true and/or dangerous for the old girl???

If you want to do that, next time you fill up put 3oz of Acetone in there. This will give the system a good cleansing and you will notice the gas mileage difference almost instantly. I wouldn't do this too often though, it's strong stuff.

I have seen alot of different factory setups for this motor. My 97 sport sohc had two seperate down pipes with no y pipe but I have seen the other ones mentioned here. If you run alot of additives or even if you run high octane fuel it can damage them. Like the others said if it smells like sulfer or sometimes it can smell like old gas or chlorene or they glow or rattle then u should change them. And if u can get it done with direct fits or weld in for under a grand then you are doin better then I am cause the cheapest direct fit set for mine was about 1200 at dealer cost. But since im about to do my 5.0 swap I got Magna flow direct fits for the 5.0 and other than the extra two cats and being 2.5 inch stainless they are the same as what came on it.

Why did you revive this thread???

Lmao dam I just noticed that

Great job....
Btw magnaflow catalytic converters direct fits with pipes are no where near 800...

Lol I knw they cost me about 560.00 a piece and that was with a major hook up from a friend at a parts counter. I think walk in price is like 740.00 per side. And I didn't revive this thread I found it under new threads lol sorry.

zoomtoob revived the thread (from 2009).

Back