04 Explorer Stalls When Slowing Down | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer Stalls When Slowing Down

Explorer_Owner

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT Sport
I own a 2004 4x4 Explorer and sometimes when I am slowing down to a stop the rpm will drop below 1000, and it will stall. I can start the car right back up and it will be fine. I don't get any check engine light before it dies. This only happends when I am slowing down. It doesn't do it all the time. I have brought it to the dealer 5 times and each time they have told me they cannot find any codes. Someone mentioned to me that it might be the vapor managment system. Has anyone else had this problem. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a very odd situation. I've never heard of that happening on the new generation of Explorers. Have you taken it to other dealerships? I would try a different dealership or maybe take them for a spin to see if it re-occurs.

Does the Explorer run smooth at idle? If so, what does it run (RPMs) at idle? Also, is this a problem only when engine is warm, cold...

HA i battled this one for 6 mo before i fiured it out, its the TPS sensor,

Update I picked up my Explorer the dealership, they still couldn't find any codes but they did install a new throttle body, new air supply something and ignition something. Sorry I’d have to look at the paperwork to tell exactly. Hopefully this will be the end of the problem. Thanks everyone for your feedback

slow speed stall

I had a similar problem with my 2004 XLT. Turned out to be a very dirty fuel filter... no problems since. P

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I found this site because I was experiencing a similar problem to the ones posted here. I hope you all can help me. I have had my car stall twice...once during braking and once during acceleration (about 1 month apart). I will be taking my car to the dealership tomorrow and I will let you know what they find. BTW, my husband wants to know what a TPS sensor is.

welcome to the forum, the TPS is a throttle position sensor, it tells the computer how much the throttle body is actually open, in you 04 the computer also controls the throttle body with a motor instead of having a cable that goes from the pedal to the TB, so it is even more imoportant and can cause lots of issues when it is malfunctioning

My 01 sport stalled one me one time It was at a shopping center I was with my friend in the car and there was a speed bump right when i was about to go on it my explorer shut off on for some apparent reason I dunno why but it shut off on me. Then I had to turn on the explorer again and then it ran perfectly fine so I dunno what caused it to stall on me.

I will be driving along and Suddenly my engine stalls. No bumping or flickering, just shuts down. While I am Still rolling I place it in neutral and it starts right up again...?? Any suggestions?

I will be driving along and Suddenly my engine stalls. No bumping or flickering, just shuts down. While I am Still rolling I place it in neutral and it starts right up again...?? Any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem. I replaced fuel filter, fuel pump and also camshaft sensor. Still stalls.

I've read on here it could also be TPS, IAC, MAF Sensor or computer problem.

I recently read somewhere where a Vacum line has a hole in it and that fixed the problem. (Passenger side hose into valve cover). Another one said that the timing chain had wore a hole through the Valve cover. (only said it was in the back of valve cover). I haven't had a chance to look yet. I am getting a stethescope today so I can do a thourough check.

I recently read somewhere where a Vacum line has a hole in it and that fixed the problem. (Passenger side hose into valve cover). Another one said that the timing chain had wore a hole through the Valve cover. (only said it was in the back of valve cover). I haven't had a chance to look yet. I am getting a stethescope today so I can do a thourough check.

I forgot to mention I have the V6. I searched and some people who have the V8 have gotten a hole in their PCV elbow and that caused the problem, but I guess the V6 is different. But I still wonder if it might be the PCV or maybe a leak in the gasket.

I have a 2002 XLT V6 and it just stallled pulling into a parking space. Started it up and put it in gear and it stalled again. Started it again and all was ok. Any ideas? Does the 2002 have a cable controled Throttle or computer like the 2004?

Fellas, read page one of the following thread: Rough Idle and Stall Problem

Make sure you eliminate vacuum line problems. The thread identifies a very common problem that for some reason many many mechanics at the Ford dealer don't have a clue about. Yes, apparently even the V-6 engines can have this problem. Once you eliminate vacuum line problems you can move onto replacing all of those expensive parts. :-(

I have a 2002 XLT V6 and it just stallled pulling into a parking space. Started it up and put it in gear and it stalled again. Started it again and all was ok. Any ideas? Does the 2002 have a cable controled Throttle or computer like the 2004?

Nope, IAC didn't fix it. I've replace IAC, PCV and also the camshaft sensor. Still stalls.

Beginning to wonder if it's an ignition problem or some other electrical problem.

i have a 2004 ford explorer sport trac v6. a couple days ago the check engine light came on for fuel rail pressure sensor high input. runs fine until i stop then it dies. if you restart in neutral then shift back to drive it dies. if restarted in neutral then shirt to reverse then to drive it wont die. i replaced the fuel filter and fuel pressure sensor the code went away but still dies at stopping. i am dumbfounded on what it could be. please help

my wifes
Montauineer was doing this. a quick cleaning of the TB & intake elbow solved it and was good to 182K when it spun some bearings.. so lots of good info on here to help trouble shoot.

Rob

Back