Joe Dirt's 2000 Ex-El-Tee "Deuce" | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the registry for Wedgie 2.0, who has been affectionately named "Deuce"

From Shad's info to save keystrokes:

Here is the run down:

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L - AWD
Deep Wedgewood Blue
Gray Leather
Yada, yada, yada...

Highlights:

• Transmission rebuilt at 160,000 miles, and filled with synthetic
  • Lifted 2" in front with torsion keys
  • Lifted 3" in back with Add-a-Leaf and Warrior Shackles
  • New Superlift shocks at 166,000 miles
  • 31" x 10.5" tires
  • As much rust as some southern trucks- she's clean...

Interesting fact- it was an XLT fitted with air-ride shocks from the factory. System was disabled with the kit and shocks were put on to avoid costly repair.

Next to Wedgie:

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

Today 1/28/11 was the first car wash.

IMG_1671.jpg

And yes, it needs to be cleaned... :D

IMG_1707.jpg

Um... This is going to be my biggest challenge to date.

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

But it's going to be fine. It's an incredible place to start- the steering wheel isn't even gummy or rolled. I'm very pleased with the canvas... :thumbsup:

Anyway, after the car wash, I snapped some pics for starting point reference.
So, here are our obligatory before pictures...

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

Door seams always oiled

IMG_1688.jpg

Hatch looks brand new as well!

IMG_1698.jpg

Nothing on the rocker seams ...but a paint chip :D

IMG_1687.jpg

Rockers nice. No rust even at the back- just grime and ice. I think the mudflaps really helped...

IMG_1685.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Finished painting the sport console, matches perfectly! I used a new Rustoleum all-surface plastic paint, with primer and paint all-in-one.

I scuffed with a Scotch Brite, hit with adhesion promoter, and finished with 4 coats of the black.

Going to let it sit out in the sun tomorrow to bake up nicely, and hopefully install Friday.

DSCF8306.jpg

Looks like it turned out well.

Wow that honestly does look like oem!

OEM- what I do best... :D

What kind of texture does it have? Is it the rubbery feel like the OEM piece?

OEM- what I do best... :D

Damn Joe, I was hoping you`d colour out of the blue, then do your radio bezel and all the other accents possible in your truck.

Oh wait....I`ve got you mixed up with someone with little taste.

Carry on.

Looks good. I need to get me some of that stuff to freshen up some of the fading black stuff on my `99.

It's not the rubbery texture, I was contemplating using the plasti-dip spray to do that, but this is more durable. I can either grab a non-rubbery XLS bezel, or scuff and paint the wood grain Limited bezel I grabbed. It does have the same look as the rubbery one though.

BTW- it is the Flat Black paint...

Been seeing that odd looking spray paint can for awhile. Wondered if it was any good. And again, as always, awesome work Joseph D! Do u think that would work well for subwoofer grille too? Cannot possibly match the willow green so black would do me fine.

That does look perfect

X2!!!!

Been seeing that odd looking spray paint can for awhile. Wondered if it was any good. And again, as always, awesome work Joseph D! Do u think that would work well for subwoofer grille too? Cannot possibly match the willow green so black would do me fine.

No, they suck. This will sound completely wrong, yet very sig-able. It spatters at both the beginning and end of the stroke. Very hard to paint with. I probably wasted 1/4 of the can on the floor at the ends of the stroke. Horrible can. The fan-spray tips that you can see the metal plunger through are the best.

Thanks for the props- it's in the truck, I just have to get some pics tomorrow whan it's light out. I like it- nice update.

Perfect! :thumbsup:

I was just painting some exterior electrical junction boxes with that type spray can and had the same sputtering problem as you Joe.

If you can find another brand with a different spray nozzle by all means go with that.

Ok, here she is installed. I can't believe how close they look. I'd rate it a 9.5/10 based on the rubbery texture being the only thing missing. I really dig it. :thumbsup:

IMG_0010.jpg

Only thing I have left to do is install the 2002 console liner in place of the older one. Might need some creative fastening, but I want that enclosed cubby.

I also stuck in an old grille in the back for my sub. I painted the mesh black for craps and laughs.

Wasn't screwing around with the tabs, so I just tossed on some velcro.

IMG_0005.jpg

Before:

IMG_0007.jpg

After:

IMG_0008.jpg

Yes, I cleaned the rear carpet and extracted the mats. :D

Wow! Theres so much more room for activities in that extra space in the console!

You know I would have killed to have climate control, and the message center in my 95'; but the climate control just seems to be more of a PITA (Expensive resistor), and I dont use it on "auto" ever, I either have heat cranking, or AC cranking. And the message center, I know when to change my oil, the MTE feature is useless to me (And partly depressing), filling up and seeing <300 MTE, then driving 20 miles and it saying <250 MTE.

The MPG's are depressing alot too, so mine usually is set to "Miles driven" and my cupholders are always full of stuff that would be alot better in the room I used to have in that area :p:

Great job though! (Again:))

Thats some work Joe. Definitely enjoy the over the top cleaning of the carpet. Makes me feel like I'm a expensive hotel with the stripped look lol

Wait until you see my summer patterns. Shea consults me for cutting patterns.

I designed this one.

grass3shea.jpg

:D

Back