• Register Today It's free!

transmission issue!! HELP!

my97xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Winchester, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
My '97 XLT is having some drivetrain issues. I'll try to explain the best I can...

My vehicle has 151,000 miles on it. Over the past month it's been having some issues. The transmission shifts strong and trouble free when accelerating. When I slowed down from say interstate speed (55 - 65) you could hear it clicking and shifting down or whatever, and then you'd feel a slight shift from it, then a REALLY LOUD GRINDING NOISE! Which actually scared the CRAP OUT OF ME! So immediately I threw it in neutral, and the noise went away. I pulled over, put it back in Drive, and it operated normally. So what I"m trying to say is, the car shifts normally and smooth when accelerating, but slowing down, it's almost like its jumping out of gear! ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS COULD BE???!! I need some insight! As far as I know, the transmission fluid hasn't been changed in a while, and neither has the filter. So could this just be in need of servicing? I'm not sure if this transmission has been replaced I'm the 3rd owner. But it NEVER had problems before...anyway, let me know what you think! THANKS!!!

-jonathan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Noise is not a good thing. Don't forget you also have a T-case in that setup, and it COULD be the T-Case. The fact the trannie runs strong forward IS a good sign... quite often (not always) something in an automatic transmission so bad it would cause grinding noises will show up in other operational regimes... especially acceleration. I guess I'm saying I haven't a clue, but would investigate the Transfer case before I pulled the trannie.

This could definately be a Transfer Case problem, rather than a trans problem.

Check out this thread
Trans or Transfer case?

In particular, read this thread Control Trac problem where I posted an article that I found on the web that may describe your problem

IT WAS THE TRANSFER CASE.

The shift actuator and the range sleeve were worn out completely.

So the total bill was $505.58 @ a Blue Oval certified repair by Ford.

Thanks for the responses!

-jonathan

Parts question

Just curious what you meant by shift actuator and range sleeve. I was looking up these parts and didn't see those names. I did see input/output Shaft sleeve though. Would that be the same as range sleeve??

Randy

Shift Actuator = Shift Motor?

As far as I know, the transmission fluid hasn't been changed in a while,

Just curious what you meant by shift actuator and range sleeve. I was looking up these parts and didn't see those names. I did see input/output Shaft sleeve though. Would that be the same as range sleeve??

Randy

Shift Actuator = Shift Motor?

I had the grinding noise issue on my 94 (BW1354 t-case) and indeed it was the range selector. On my manual shift t-case, there is a shift fork (make a C with your hand and you have the approximate size and shape). The tips of the shift fork have plastic guide pads that the range sleeve rides in the grooves of. These pads wear out, then the sleeve eats into the fork itself and slips enough to start grinding the low range gear while you're in motion. In my case, I managed to find a part number for the shift fork and pads, but the place I ordered from screwed up and sent me a shift fork for a 1350 t-case. I ended up installing the new pads onto my old fork with a bit of J-B Weld and it solved my problem for good, at least until those wear out 175k miles later.

The plastic shift guide pads are not too hard to find. The original replacement part number has been superseded by an improved design, but the same design pad was used in a LOT of Ford transmissions and transfer cases, up through the 2000s.

Back