Adding a sub to a 96 explorer non sub truck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding a sub to a 96 explorer non sub truck

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AFAIK, the wiring is not there if you don't have an OEM sub.

It is easy to add an aftermarket sub and amp. That is what I did in my 96 without the OEM sub.

Click on images for larger views...

th_1108081454a.jpg
th_lc2enclosure3_zps2ef8d5d7.jpg
th_V12_mounted.jpg

AFAIK, the wiring is not there if you don't have an OEM sub.

It is easy to add an aftermarket sub and amp. That is what I did in my 96 without the OEM sub.

Click on images for larger views...

th_1108081454a.jpg
th_lc2enclosure3_zps2ef8d5d7.jpg
th_V12_mounted.jpg

I was hoping to do this on the cheap and just grab something from the yard. Is it easy to add the factory wiring if I find a factory sub truck in the yard? Or is it a completely difference harness?

I was hoping to do this on the cheap and just grab something from the yard. Is it easy to add the factory wiring if I find a factory sub truck in the yard? Or is it a completely difference harness?

I never checked into it, so I have no idea. I think you need to have a different OEM head unit also, that has outputs for the OEM sub harness. You'll have to dig on here for more info.

For me, I wanted to keep the original head unit, so if I put everything back to stock, I wouldn't have to find another OEM replacement. I have been installing my own car audio since late 80's, so I had an idea on what to do, and what it would take. When I first started my "Budget Bass" project in my Explorer, I think the original install was under $100 for the amp, sub, OEM enclosure, hi/lo converter, wiring kit, and other misc free leftover parts from my past installs.

Original amp from from Craigslist. Sub was from Parts Express. OEM enclosure was from a local pick-a-part yard. Hi/lo converter from eBay. Wiring kit (used mostly for a cheap source of 8ga power wire) from Wallymart.

The harness is completely different. The OEM radios were also much different.

The easiest option is a cheap amp and sub. Honestly, unless space is an issue, get an external box, the factory box is pretty crappy.

Boooo, well guess stock subless stereo system it is for me :/

Is there something swaying you away from going the aftermarket route? You could always look into the "all in one" sub units, where it's just hook it up and done.

I have used amplified Bazooka subwoofer tubes in the past. Easy hookup. Decent bass. I actually have one in my storage room in my basement that I was going to put in my Explorer, but went a different route.

Is there something swaying you away from going the aftermarket route? You could always look into the "all in one" sub units, where it's just hook it up and done.

I have used amplified Bazooka subwoofer tubes in the past. Easy hookup. Decent bass. I actually have one in my storage room in my basement that I was going to put in my Explorer, but went a different route.

Running the wiring from the front of the truck and spending more money. I don't have much money so was hoping to get something cheap from the yard.

The factory sub is garbage. You can get a sub and amp off Craigslist for under $100, usually with wiring. Even at that, a wiring kit at walmart is $15.

The factory sub is garbage. You can get a sub and amp off Craigslist for under $100, usually with wiring. Even at that, a wiring kit at walmart is $15.

Any idea what size the factory box is air space wise? I would like to at least have it utilize the empty space there in the side of the 1/4. I'll probably grab the factory 8" box from a newer ex.

I'm not sure on the cubic volume but the plastic factory box is not the best. Wood gives a much richer sound.

trust us, the stock setups are hardly worth the hastle. Dom and i both have had issues dealing with the things trying to get them to work properly and sound good. you can get cheap sub/amp/enclosures for relatively cheap and they arent all that hard to run wires for either. there is tons of places to route wires in these trucks.

I've done the factory sub box with an aftermarket sub thing with the factory amp. I managed to wire it up. It sounded terrible because the factory amp does not have a crossover built into it.
I then bought an aftermarket amp, that sounded a bit better, but it still sounded odd. Turns out, the box just doesn't sound good. It's fairly thin plastic that would probably flex under the pressure of a good subwoofer. Either way, you'll have to switch the subwoofer out for a new one since the factory sub is made of paper and just rattles, not in a good way.

I ended up buying a slim/shallow Pioneer subwoofer in a box and put it standing up behind my back seats. Takes up veryyy little space, and sounds awesome, no complaints.

Back