4x4 light not working/won't engage into 4wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 light not working/won't engage into 4wd

tyler_arish

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport trac xlt
I have a 2002 ford explorer sport trac and Today I went to turn my 4wd on today ad no light came on(4wd high&low did not work) is there anywhere I can look to see what the problem is? I don't know which fuse I'm looking for and there is also no click when I try turn it on. About 4 months ago I had my cv Axel replaced on my left and right side. Could they have done something then? Also when my 4wd is "on" I can notice my breaks are much more touchy. Please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here also any way I can see if my sensor module is working?

more than likely it is a blown fuse, I've got a gen 2 so my fuse number will not match yours, but just scan through your manual for anything that lists 4wd or transfer case...

There is one fuse that runs the whole thing, in fact on my truck that same fuse is linked to the interior light but yours is probably different

I checked my fuses and they are all fine.Checked the one in the engine fuse box and the one by my dashboard. Both seem to be fine. I was reading up a bit more and I saw some people sayig it was something on their passenger side behid the glove box. It's up in the kick board? Though they said it was a sensor module. Any other ideas? I really don't wanna have to take it in. Because the part was 50$ and here it will cost 100$ just to get someone to look at it

I had a 2001 ranger and that happened to me. It ended up being a shift motor? or actuator or relay? in the passenger kick panel area and/or on the transfer case itself.

Don't remember exactly, but that was my issue. Select 4x4 and you could not hear the 4x4 actuating motor trying to activate 4x4.

*EDIT* i just re-read my post and i'm no help at all. hahah sorry man. Just saying it could be more than a fuse.

It is not the shift motor. If it was you would here the clicking sound in the pass kick panel. Since you have no clicking sound it is either the switch to select 4wd or the module.

My 4x4 high works, but not 4x4 low lol

My 4x4 high works, but not 4x4 low lol

you need to start a new thread for your problem, rarely will you question get answered when posted in response to someone elses question. Also you will need to add some more detail.

O I know what the problem is, I was just commenting! Thanks tho :p:

Ive came to the conclusion that my 4x4 is possesed. j/k

Ive came to the conclusion that my 4x4 is possesed. j/k

LOL so is mine... every time I get off road it makes me want to stomp on the accelerator. I swear there are demons living in mine that come out to play every time I engage the T.C. in mud or snow... :D

Anyone ever find out the answer to this problem?

I know this is an old post, but I'm experiencing the exact samething. 02 ST that won't engage into either 4x4 high or low. Don't have the clicks at all when trying to engage. Just trying to find out where to start. The switch or the module? According to my local Ford dealer the switch is no longer in production lol The nearest one is 100 miles away unless I go to a pull apart which is always a gamble. Any help would be great.

Do the "disconnect the module" procedure, couple of times, applying some dielectric grease to the terminals while unplugged. I'd bet in your case there will be engagement when you plug it back in.

Hard for me to believe Ford has discontinued the switch, but it's rarely the problem.

Thx

Thx for the advice. Will be trying that out shortly. I found it hard to believe they would discontinue the switch myself. Went to another Ford dealer directly afterwards, fearing the last parts guys didnt know what he was talking about, and unfortunately got the same exact answer. Can't order them and the closest one is in Cincinnati. Did find one on the net tho if need be

Guess I need to be squirreling them away as I find them in the salvage yard.

Be sure to FIRST check all related fuses.

20024x4Circuit.gif

Do the "disconnect the module" procedure, couple of times, applying some dielectric grease to the terminals while unplugged. I'd bet in your case there will be engagement when you plug it back in.

Hard for me to believe Ford has discontinued the switch, but it's rarely the problem.

Had the same problem with my 2001. Did exactly as ncranchero described and it has worked just fine for the past 10 months.:thumbsup:

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the "disconnect the module procedure"? I understand in concept, but don't know what /where module is. Is it called 4wd shift module, or something?

I saw an old post on the topic, I think its in the passenger kick panel area if I recall correctly. Mine is doing the same thing, sometimes the 4x4 works, sometimes it does not.

Is is located in the same spot for a 99 ranger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4x4 problems

Sooo recently I got an 02 Sport trac handed down to me. I'm young and needed a vehicle so I took it, but I have one issue with it. The 4x4 doesn't work... I've been doing my research and I'm thinking its the Transfer Case Differential Module, but I'm uncertain.. I don't hear a click when I turn the switch but on start-up the 4x4 lights flash on. Does that mean it could be the Shift Motor itself? or a fuse? idk.. I need some help. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks:thumbsup:.

Back