• Register Today It's free!

1999 Eddie Bauer Subwoofer busted

AggieFord

Reaction score
City, State
College Station, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Eddie Bauer 4X4
I have a 1999 Eddie Bauer with the cassete + cd HU and 6 CD changer in the console. I believe it is the Mach Audio system or someone has referred to it as an Audiophile system, but I believe Audiophile may be for newer vehicles. At any rate, the subwoofer is blown and Ford (in their infinite wisdom) chooses to sell the sub, enclosure, and amp all as one at a ridiculous price. :mad: Can I get some suggestions for a direct replacement speaker from someone? I am looking for simple but effective. I have previously replaced just the speaker in my 1996 XLT w/JBL and for that system, Ford sells the speaker separately. If someone has the Ford part number I would need, that would be great! I want to retain the factory grille and look so I need something that will mount to the box (enclosure). Would anyone know if the 1996 sub for the JBL system is the same speaker (or if the connections could be spliced) as the one in my '99??

If someone has removed a sub from their late model X that is in GOOD condition or better, I may be interested in that as well.

Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Audiophile systems are made by 3 companies. First was Pioneer way long ago, then JBL not so way long ago, and now Mach Audio.

But now's a good chance to get rid of that tiny little 6" subwoofer and step up to cramming a subwoofer that's almost too large to fit into that space there. I've heard of people fitting 12"ers in there, thats double the size of yours. Come on, you know you want to... It'll probably be similar in price as replacing the OEM one too...

i had the 8" in mine, and replaced it with a jl audio 8w3. The only problem is that the stock amp will not run it very good. Then i used an RF amp and it sounded decent, in the stock enclosure. Then i decided to just upgrade the whole thing. Bottom line is, you can use a jl audio as a direct replacement, I think an 8w0 will fit with no spacer, but i used the 8w3 and just flipped the rubber around the screw holes to make the sub fit. But if you do, consider a better amp, that is if you even have the 8".

go with the JL 10" stealth enclosure (replaces the stock fart-box) and a JL 250/1 amp you'll be happy with the sound then and you'll still be able to fit the 4 dead hookers in the cargo bay! just food for thought, i suppose...
~stu

You guys only get 4? I can cram at least 8 in the back of my Sport. Granted it gets a little hard to see out the back window with all the glitter, cheap makeup, and blood all over it, but sometimes you just have to endire enough to get to a proper disposal site. Stuff's a pain to get off the windows though.

Just kidding. I'm not really a mass hooker killer.

In any case, the JL stuff is like 800 bucks, I'd recommend an MTX or Q logic. Theyre much cheaper.

I just replaced the sub and the two rear door speakers. Will be replacing two fronts with the same speakers next month. All these speakers are exact replacements Bought at Crutchfield.

Door speakers... Great Sound with Stock Head Unit
1086832CF Infinity Reference 6832cf 6"x8" 2-way Speakers

Sub... Also great with stock AMP (could use a little more power but still better than stock)
113XW800F Kenwood KFC-XW800F 8" 4-ohm Component Subwoofer

98%20Explorer%20Speakers

http://s952.photobucket.com/albums/ae6/nepatobins/98%20Explorer%20Speakers/

I can sell you my sock amp and sub that I just took out of my mach audio system. Let me know if you want it. You can also replace everything if you'd like, but it is a lot of work. To replace with good stuff, it will likely run you about $300 if you do it yourself.

Resurrecting an older thread, but how difficult was it to use the Kenwood KFC-XW800F with the stock enclosure? Did it require any wiring changes.......... Thanks.

i have a 98 eddie bauer and i want to take the sub off (the 8" sub in the back) but it wont come off does anyone have a video that shows you how??

i have a 98 eddie bauer and i want to take the sub off (the 8" sub in the back) but it wont come off does anyone have a video that shows you how??

no video per say that i've seen, but there is a bolt on the backside of the enclosure the mounts to the magnet, that you have to remove to pull the speaker, pretty sure the 2nd gen the whole enclosure has to come out.

Resurrecting an older thread, but how difficult was it to use the Kenwood KFC-XW800F with the stock enclosure? Did it require any wiring changes.......... Thanks.

Did you ever figure this out?

Back