• Register Today It's free!

Turns over but wont start?!

sidneyhop

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 AWD Limited
There was another recent thread that seemed similar but didnt want to hijack it.

Ive got a 2000 limited 5.0 that all of a sudden wont start.

I hadnt driven it in about 3 weeks but before that it ran fine without any issues, hesitation or problems starting. Its getting spark and I checked the fuel pump / PCM relays which were fine. I also jumped the in inertia shut off switch with no luck. I turn the key to on but dont hear the pump (although its hard to hear with the chiming when you turn the key on), and have cycled it on a bunch of time, still no pump sound.

What are the symptoms of a fuel pump / regulator going bad? I was reading on another thread that the regulators on the 2000 limited are in the tank. Whats the best way to test it?

Is it common for a fuel pump to just fail completely like this? Are there any other things I should check before dropping the tank?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel pumps usually give some warning - but not always. Try disconnecting one side of fuel filter, then turn on ignition and see if fuel squirts out. If not, that confirms that fuel pump is not pumping. Next, check to see that you have voltage at the fuel pump connector at the tank when ignition is on. If yes, replace fuel pump; if no, look further for electrical problem. There are some threads here that show how to cut a hole under rear seat to access fuel pump w/o dropping tank - you may want to consider that.

Fuel pumps usually give some warning - but not always. Try disconnecting one side of fuel filter, then turn on ignition and see if fuel squirts out. If not, that confirms that fuel pump is not pumping. Next, check to see that you have voltage at the fuel pump connector at the tank when ignition is on. If yes, replace fuel pump; if no, look further for electrical problem. There are some threads here that show how to cut a hole under rear seat to access fuel pump w/o dropping tank - you may want to consider that.

Ok, Ill give the fuel filter test and voltage a try. I was looking here and youtube on where the port is to test the fuel pressure but couldnt find a pic for the 5.0. Do you know where it is or where a pic of it is?

thanks

Does the theft light flash while cranking?

No it doesn't. It blinks just when I first turn the key to the on position but after that it stops.

does anyone know if the 2000 5.0 awd uses a 'flex line' fuel pump or not?

thanks

Back