Replacing Radio 2004 Ford Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Radio 2004 Ford Explorer XLT

autumnmom11

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello,

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT that needs a new radio.

The CD player on the radio does not work, despite the efforts of various folks.

Per a relative, the car was taken to a dealer about the CD player, and was told the whole radio needs replaced.

This is fine, I honestly don't care, but I am not sure with all the new stereo systems these days, which ones will fit.

I do not need anything fancy. While I don't want to try to find a old radio from the junk yard, I don't need a touch screen, or video, or anything of that nature. Frankly, I don't even need an MP3 player, however I do want to be able to play my 2-year-olds burned MP3 CDs.

Long story short, I inherited the car after my father passed, and the CD player was not working then. This was back in 2010. He did have the CD player looked at, but died shortly after. I honestly did not care if the CD player worked or not, but with my 2-year-old, I would like to listen to the music she enjoys rather than relying the radio all day long.

It is important, honestly, the stereo can play a burned MP3 CD.

I do not have an insane budget for something like this. I know I will already need to take it either to a dealer, or an audio shop, to probably have some sort of configuration done in order for the stereo to work.

If the stereo by itself can stay reasonable, say around $200, that would be great.

I realize this might be a pipe-dream, but I thought it would not hurt to ask around.

Thank You!

Heidi

www.crutchfield.com

You can put in your car info, see what will fit in your car, and they will even give you (or for a very small fee) all the things you need to make it look like a factory install (mounting brackets, wire harness's and such).

Plenty of options out there for $200.
My recommendation is crutchfield also. When you buy the cd player, they list all required install components, and there own step by step installation guide. Very helpful also!

Back