2nd generation front brakes upgrade? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd generation front brakes upgrade?

I'm considering upgrading the front brakes on my 2000 Explorer Sport with 2WD. I have 15 inch diameter stock rims.

I seem to remember seeing a thread years ago about using larger diameter Sport Trac rotors but after searching for a couple hours can't find it. I have an opportunity to purchase a set of Explorer used 16 inch diameter stock aluminum wheels which I think is required for the larger rotors.

I've searched a little on the internet for Explorer performance rotors and was overwhelmed by the number of brands and options available: slotted, cross-drilled, chamfered, zinc plated, chromed, etc. There is also a multitude of brake pad types available: metallic, ceramic, etc.

I don't race nor do I tow anything heavy so I'm looking for a modest improvement in braking performance at a reasonable cost with no machining required. I've noticed since adding my M90 supercharger that the pedal effort has increased which may be due to my idle vacuum changing from 22 in Hg for NA to 16 in Hg for FI. I don't want brake pads that increase pedal effort since I have a bad back and weak knees in my old age.

Any help will be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After most people install new pads and flush the old fluid out, the braking will be noticeably better.

Make your rotor size change, do new pads and fluid, and see where you are.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

correct rotors, wrong spindles

The new rotors arrived a couple days ago and they look like the correct item. The used spindles/knuckles arrived today and they are for 4WD instead of 2WD. The ebay listing title said 4x2, the compatible vehicles said two wheel drive and the description said 4x2 but the donor vehicle said 4x4 in small print which I didn't notice when I placed the order. I'll probably have to pay the return shipping cost - the package weighed 52 pounds.

Ouch, bad luck on that. Too bad you don't also have another 2nd gen Explorer(4WD/AWD) which needs the brakes too.

eBay

Unclear eBay adds piss me off.

wrong parts again

The eBay seller (salvage yard) was quick to admit that the 4x4 knuckles with hubs I received were incorrectly listed. He said he would locate the 4x2 spindles I need and send them to me at no cost and I could keep the 4x4 parts or trash them. Saturday the replacement parts were delivered. This time I got a pair of 4x4 knuckles with no hubs. I'll call them Monday (if they're open Labor Day) and find out what happens next.

The eBay seller (salvage yard) was quick to admit that the 4x4 knuckles with hubs I received were incorrectly listed. He said he would locate the 4x2 spindles I need and send them to me at no cost and I could keep the 4x4 parts or trash them. Saturday the replacement parts were delivered. This time I got a pair of 4x4 knuckles with no hubs. I'll call them Monday (if they're open Labor Day) and find out what happens next. When I get everything worked out and the spindles I need I'll make the 4x4 knuckles available to current forum members who want to upgrade their brakes. I'll only ask for the shipping charges. Send me a PM if interested.

Wow, that seller must have some employees who don't understand things very well. That's funny, but I hope they make it right for you soon.

Sport Trac spindles

I called the eBay seller today to inquire about my spindles. He apologized for the mix ups, gave me a total refund and located a pair for me at a local truck salvage yard. I drove across town and convinced the salvage yard personnel that I needed to see the parts before payment and removal. I was taken to a 2003 Sport Trac that was definitely 2WD. The left spindle/knuckle/rotor/hub assembly was in the front seat and the right was still on the control arms. After about 45 minutes I was on my way home with the spindles in the back of my 850 Turbo Wagon.
Spindles2WD03SprtTrac.jpg

They cost $106 (includes sales tax) so I saved $26. I need to order a new left upper control arm and right lower control before I start the upgrade. I also need to order stainless steel brake hoses/lines and brake pads. I haven't checked the new rotors yet to see if they include the wheel bearings. I guess the electrical cables are connected to the 4WABS sensors. I hope they are good.

Good haul, spare parts are always handy to have.

Brake pads

I ended up ordering Power Stop Evolution Z16 low dust ceramic disc brake pads for the daily driver with stainless steel hardware kit. They are chamfered and slotted like OEM pads and have rubberized shims to reduce noise. The pad surfaces are thermal scorched for rapid break-in. They are supposed to have 20% better stopping power and last longer than other leading aftermarket brands. They seemed like a good choice for normal and occasionally aggressive street driving.

Brakes

I will be awaiting your review of the brake pads after installation. Hope they are all that!

It's been a while so I'm wondering a few things:
Did the old 11.something calipers fit on the new 12.something rotors?
Did you notice this noise CDW was talking about?
How are the new brakes treating you?

I only ask this stuff because I currently have warped rotors and I'm thinking instead of just going back to standard brakes maybe I'll give the explorer a new set of brakes.

I realize that it has been 3.5 years since the last post, but I am curious- what ever happened to the 2 sets of 4wd spindles you received?

Back