1st Gen SAS Toyota Steering Box?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st Gen SAS Toyota Steering Box??

Calling in the group on this one. I have a 93 with full width dana 44 1 ton steering with tie rod flip. I moved the axle forward a couple inches when building it a couple years ago. The 1 ton linkage is brand new. The problem is that because I have so little lift (~5" total) i'm smacking the pitman with the tie rod while flexing. I also just don't have enough clearance at the drag link/tie rod mount. I have thought about going full hydro to eliminate the drag link. I think it's somewhat overkill at this point. I'm actually interested in running toyota IFS box that I can mount forward of the axle. I think it would solve nearly all the clearance issues, easier, and more economical than full hydro. Has anyone done this (on a 1st gen)? I've been searching but i'm really not finding much since most 1st gen sas's just use the stock box. Just looking for ideas really.

I could lift it a couple more inches but I really don't want to do that. My rig is VERY stable as it is now and don't want to mess that up.

Not sure how yours it setup but I had a similar issue. I added a histeer to the passenger side and ran the drag link to the histeer arm and the tierod on the factory knuckle mounts.

I may also be able to "fix" this by adding bumpstops. No...i don't have any right now. How have you all mounted yours? I was thinking about adding them inside the coil, similar to a jeep setup.

My bump stops are inside the coils just like the XJ/TJ setup.

001.jpg

Back