fgump

Reaction score
City, State
Apex, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
Hello all.
2000 XLT, 4.0 SOHC w/5R55E

I did the EPC solenoid replacement about 13k miles ago (88k), and have recently been getting the O/D light flashing. Took it to Cottman yesterday to get the codes pulled, and all that came up was P0741. Of course they wanted to pull the transmission out right there on the spot.

It is very intermittent, but frequency is increasing. Shutoff the vehicle, and the O/D returns to normal. I've checked that the TC is locking and unlocking (lockup at about 40mph), and is unlocking with application of brake pedal at cruising speed. When the code is thrown, transmission shifts as normal, just no O/D.

After reading all I could get my eyes on, I'm thinking of going in there again, changing just the TCC solenoid, filter, and fluid, and buttoning it back up. Am I stupid for only going that deep? Not even planning on pulling the VB back down, or replacing the gaskets there.

Transmission is not leaking, fluid hasn't moved since I filled it up last January.

I welcome your suggestions...:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi
I have the same error code on my explorer..
What did you do..... and how did the tranny work after????
Best regards

I had the exact same problem ... recently the ex shifted into second and then failed to move in any gear :( . Fluid now looks grey and had recently pulled the P0741 code. Im thinking my solenoids are shot aswell as my torque converter. 98' 4.0L SOHC 5r55E AWD 4 door XLT.

That sucks. I bought the TCC solenoid but haven't installed it yet. I googled the part number and found that it could also be the seal on the torque converter but I hope that is not the case. After I install the solenoid and valve body gaskets I will advise wether it fixed it or not.

That sucks. I bought the TCC solenoid but haven't installed it yet. I googled the part number and found that it could also be the seal on the torque converter but I hope that is not the case. After I install the solenoid and valve body gaskets I will advise wether it fixed it or not.

Did that fix your transmission? I have code P0741 also.

Did that fix your transmission? I have code P0741 also.

Im waiting for my father in law to have a lift available at his shop to do the work, ie someone calls in sick. Ill post my results for sure.

After buying the TCC solenoid, I googled the part number and found info that it could be the seal on the torque converter causing pressure droppage. I hope that's not my issue but mine has 155K on it but otherwise seems to run perfect aside from crappy gas mileage.

I did the repairs but now have no forward or reverse. Trying to get as much info as possible to try again tomorrow.

Tcc p0741

Has anyone successfuly resolved this issue? I have it on my 99 Mountaineer with 252k miles. Only thing wrong, so I'd like to fix before winter. My fluid looks nice and red, but it slips (2300RPM at 60MPH, then starts flashing the OD light. What's the best way to drop the pan. Do I have to drop the cat or is there another way?

Has anyone successfuly resolved this issue? I have it on my 99 Mountaineer with 252k miles. Only thing wrong, so I'd like to fix before winter. My fluid looks nice and red, but it slips (2300RPM at 60MPH, then starts flashing the OD light. What's the best way to drop the pan. Do I have to drop the cat or is there another way?

Mine is still messed up but drivable. You can drop the pan without taking off the cat, but its easier on a lift. Just slide off the heat shield first. Also do yourself a favor and wrap your catalytic converter with aluminum foil first. Good luck

Drop the front drive-shaft if you have one, the pan will come right out.
EDIT: tlestan, I resolved my P0741 code, but I had let it go for a while, so by that time my torque converter was trashed. It may have a been a simple fix at first, like a TCC solenoid, but by then my fluid was dark and there was contamination in the coolers & transmission. The torque converter had gone bad, but as to whether the failure of the torque converter was caused by a solenoid or valve body related hydraulic problem, I really do not know. So I had to overhaul the transmission and replace the torque converter.

I have the same failure code and symptoms everything works though no OD gear.....

Am i looking at a complete overhaul? If that's the case i have to reevaluate if i want to keep it all together....

There are several potential problems in the valve body that could cause the shift issue but as drdoom pointed out if you continue to drive it the trans could wind up toasted. There is a long post on rebuilding the valve body and what solutions have worked for some but the only way to find out if it will work on yours is to try some basic or advanced repairs. Keep in mind that a reman valve body is available with all the repairs already done on an exchange basis (you swap the valve bodies and send your old one back) for a reasonable price. So many people have had sucess it could be worth a try, your call.

I decided to take matters into my own hands and tried replacing the valve body gasket aswell as filling with FULL synthetic fluid. ( not mercon V which is a semi ). First I had to repair a rotten transmission filler neck( c'mon, right?) The ex was now driveable with the only exception being that it would slip after
80 km/h trying to go into o/d and then the light would flash... this made the vehicle AWEFUL on fuel. It worked ok for awhile ( 3 weeks ) but now has failed. It will engage in gear but needs to be revved high to feel like it will move the vehicle at all, also there is a terrible whine coming from the t/c or tranny now and my nice expensive fluid is burned.. again. I have parked this explorer and have been driving my " Explorer #2" , lol as I do not have the funds for a new tranny/TC at this time. Like the other stories, it could have likely been a small fix ( solenoid ) in the beginning .. but now it's junk.

as a side note, I had done a "transmission transfusion" with the FULL synthetic tranny fluid + new filter with the " Explorer #2" and it seemed to extend the life and operation of the tranny (stopped flashing o/d light) and is working well to this day.

Back