Windshield Washer Pump "Hydrolock" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Washer Pump "Hydrolock"

Doing routine maintenance under the hood. This is the dual coolant and washer fluid reservoir used on many Explorers and Rangers. Had just enough washer fluid to fill to the brim with a slight overflow. Proceeded to close the cover and hit it firmly with my palm. No problem right? Next morning i found a puddle under the passenger side. Lifted the hood and found the washer tank half full. Disconnected the wire connector and removed the pump and rubber tank seal/filter without any visible issues. Flushed the tank, reinstalled the pump, and refilled with water. Using a small hand mirror and flashlight saw leaking fluid. Replaced with a Trico aftermarket pump and no leaks. My suspicion is the tight fitting cap trapped air and blew the sonically welded seam on the bottom of the pump when I hit it. Lesson here, don't fill to the brim and force the cap closed. This is the first time I've heard of this happening, searched everywhere. Lucky for me the pump is a $20 part.

DSC04984.jpg

Lid has a tight fitting flanged cap that can pressurize if forced closed, especially when full.
The pumps rubber grommet seal didn't move and the washer pump split open at the base.

Back