4.0 SOHC....are they all the same? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC....are they all the same?

samsfiveo

Reaction score
City, State
Sulphur, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 ExplorerSport
I have read a lot of the threads on the 4.0 timing chain nightmare and the rediculous rear timing chain! My question is does my '02 ExplorerSport 4.0 have the same rear chain setup? If it does when I have chain issues, that POS is coming out and a 5.0 or 4.6 will take its place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. A 4.0 SOHC is a 4.0 SOHC.

Thanks man, I wasn't sure about the years if they changed. Yesterday I went to a guys house who is parting out an '02 Sport and the engine was out of it and I see no reason why a 5 liter or a 4.6 won't fit, theres a lot more room in there than it looks with the engine in it.

A few people have put 5.0's in. The problem with engine swaps is not bolting in the engine but getting all the electronics to work. Easiest way to go is find a wrecked 5.0 Explorer to get the engine and all the parts from. Be more work than swapping the timing chain though. Just sayin'....

A few people have put 5.0's in. The problem with engine swaps is not bolting in the engine but getting all the electronics to work. Easiest way to go is find a wrecked 5.0 Explorer to get the engine and all the parts from. Be more work than swapping the timing chain though. Just sayin'....

I would just buy a whole donar and swap engine, electronics, AODE (which I have), the 5 liter would be easier to modify, make more power and I wouldn't ever have to worry about stupid placed chains again! Im thinking about doing it before something bad happens to my 4.0 and sell it to recoupe some of the swap money.

My sister traded in her 4.0 SOHC Eddie Bauer last year (on another one), it had 170,000 miles on it and other than a rebuilt transmission around 100,000, nothing else was ever touched on it.
Just sayin'....

Oh, I hear 'ya, I got a friend with a '9? model who gave it to his daughter with over 200k on it for her to drive to college .....its still going! Mine has been great too, but modifications are few, repairs are a PITA and I believe in PUSHRODS!! If the whole OHC concept was that great, then Chevy would have done years ago on their flagship model. I love Fords, always have, but IMO they screwed up when they quit using pushrods.

I have a '03 sport track that I just got back from my son... He must have never changed the oil because the valve noise is awful. I'm thinking of swaping out the engine for a 4.6L. Will it fit and what other considerations are there?

This all leads to other questions. According to the Chilton manual the Sport Trac has 160 HP while the Explorer has 210 HP The Aviator 4.6 is listed at 302 HP while the Explorer 4.6 is listed at 239 HP. What gives? What accounts for the difference?

I have a '03 sport track that I just got back from my son... He must have never changed the oil because the valve noise is awful. I'm thinking of swaping out the engine for a 4.6L. Will it fit and what other considerations are there?

This all leads to other questions. According to the Chilton manual the Sport Trac has 160 HP while the Explorer has 210 HP The Aviator 4.6 is listed at 302 HP while the Explorer 4.6 is listed at 239 HP. What gives? What accounts for the difference?

I have not looked up the specs on these particular applications, but there are many different versions of the 4.6ltr engine. There are 2 valve, 3 valve, and 4 valve versions each increasing HP. The HP ranges go from 275hp - 330+hp (this being the 4 valve). I mean think about the range of vehicles that the 4.6 engine runs in and their application.

Well, I have to say this from experience. Don't believe the hype. The 4.0 SOHC will last a long darn time. Every engine has its problems and some have bad experiences with a certain engine. They then vent their frustrations and it spreads like a rumor. That doesn’t mean your fate is a timing chain rattle in the next couple of weeks.

I have a lot of “abnormal” turbo miles on this motor with no problems. Maybe it’s because I change the oil; maybe it’s because I know when to say when….whatever the case, it’s lasted.

Proof

Thanks man, I wasn't sure about the years if they changed. Yesterday I went to a guys house who is parting out an '02 Sport and the engine was out of it and I see no reason why a 5 liter or a 4.6 won't fit, theres a lot more room in there than it looks with the engine in it.

Well just take a look at the physical dimensions of the 4.6L compared to the 5.0L and 5.8L motors. A main consideration is if the new engine will sit far enough down into the engine bay. A 5.0L conversion I'd go for but never a 4.6L. A 4.6L is wider than a 428. My 68 Ranchero was available with a 428 option, came with a 302 and I wanted to go with a 4.6L ( I love the 4.6L !) but to get it to sit low enough I would have had to cut the shock towers. I went with a mass air 5.0L H.O. Mustang motor. Very happy! Too bad I had to sell it ......:(

V-8Fordnginedimensions.jpg

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.html

I haven't done anything to the Sport Trac yet. The noise turns out to be the timing chain. I still want to put in a 4.6 or 5.0. (160 HP SUCKS!!!!!!) Has anyone done this? If so, please send tips and relate any problems...

Thanks

Well, I have to say this from experience. Don't believe the hype. The 4.0 SOHC will last a long darn time. Every engine has its problems and some have bad experiences with a certain engine. They then vent their frustrations and it spreads like a rumor. That doesn’t mean your fate is a timing chain rattle in the next couple of weeks.

I have a lot of “abnormal” turbo miles on this motor with no problems. Maybe it’s because I change the oil; maybe it’s because I know when to say when….whatever the case, it’s lasted.

Proof

+1
Kinda like the Taurus 3.8L, and the GM Quad4. IF they were properly maintained by an owner who gave a crap, they would last. They just didn't tolerate alot of abuse.

To the OP. Yes, technically all SOHC 4.0's are the same basic design. However, Ford implemented some improvements over time to reduce the timing chain issues. I believe this was in '03 or '04? Maybe someone else can chime in on that. After all, they were still putting these in the Mustang until this year.

The SOHC can be built to perform quite well, fi you take your time, and do your homework. Just a SCT XCAL3 w/ some custom tuning will make a big improvement, and that's before you touch any "hard"parts. If you want a V8, go buy a V8 Explorer. Don't butcher another 4.0L one. First, save them for people who will appreciate them. Second, it will be much easier and cheaper for you, if you really insist on a V8, to just buy one with it already in from the factory. As has been mentioned, it's not just swapping motors. You'll also have to change the trans, as well as deal with electronics. In addition, there may be legal issues, depending on your state laws.

If you are willing to pull the motor to swap it, then pull it and fix it. Once it's done right, you'll be good for many, many miles, and years. Of course, this assumes proper oil changes,etc....

Chiltons is wrong. The 160 hp is for the 4.0 OHV, which is found in older Explorers but was never installed in Sport Tracs. All Gen 1 Sport Tracs have the 4.0 SOHC which is rated at 207 or 210 hp depending on the application.

Yeah, from what I found after posting, the 4.0L is factory with 210HP

I guess I'll just pull the engine and fix the rear timing chain. It really sux that I have to pull the engine to fix it. Is there any other way? Can it be done by dropping the trans?

Other than dropping in an Aviator V8 (302HP 32 valve 4.6L), what can be done to boost the HP? I'd like to be pushing another 30+ HP.
:usa:

Back