Transmission fluid change and cost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid change and cost

pearly

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 xlt
I am running up to almost 70k on my explorer and have never flushed or change the tranny fluid. I am preferring to do it before this winter comes (and before the 100k manual recommendation).

Should I just change the fluid or flush it?

How much should dealers charge for this?

Also, what about coolant service work. I know nothing about that and what needs to be done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

V-8 or V-6

Different tranny's, different specs/fluid.

coolant i think is 100k or 6 years. service interval which ever came first. then 30k after by the service manual.

as for a flush, its quicker to do since most hook up a machine and vehicle running, exchange the fluid. i personally do not like this, since you drain the trans down 1-3 quarts then start the exchange using an external pump to pump fluid in.

this if it is hooked up backwards can blow seals out and cause major damage.
also the filter does not get changed.

i would rather do a pan dump/new filter then a flush since even tho about 1/2 the fluid is old, the new filter should filter that fluid at that point.

just my view.

what is an average price for the dealer to do this? for regular or synthetic.

I think the dealer charges around a couple hundred bucks for a flush. I think I saw a sign ouside the local dealer recently for a $179.95 special. Not synthetic.

In my neck of the woods, the Ford dealer does not use a flush machine, they will only drop the pan. The labor charge is a flat rate $ 120.00 plus fluid, filter, gasket etc.
Ford mercon 5 is semi-synthetic (V-6 trans) and the Mercon SP for the V-8 6R60 is also smei-synthetic (I think).
6R60 pan gasket is silicone and therefore re-usable. Insist that they reuse it to save some bucks.
I paid $235.00 including all taxes for labour, filter and 6 qts/ltrs of SP.
Hope this info is of help.

In my neck of the woods, the Ford dealer does not use a flush machine, they will only drop the pan. The labor charge is a flat rate $ 120.00 plus fluid, filter, gasket etc.
Ford mercon 5 is semi-synthetic (V-6 trans) and the Mercon SP for the V-8 6R60 is also smei-synthetic (I think).
6R60 pan gasket is silicone and therefore re-usable. Insist that they reuse it to save some bucks.

Is it mercon v or mercon sp for V-8 5r55s?

Is it mercon v or mercon sp for V-8 5r55s?

I think all V-6 5 spd Explorer trans use Mercon 5. (as do the old 4 spd 4R70W used with the the 302 motors)
The 06 & newer V-8 3 valve motor with the 6 spd 6R60 trans use Mercon SP only. And you can only buy Mercon SP from Ford.
So the 5r55s must use mercon 5 as the older mercon has been discontinued by Ford. (But available elsewhere)

We charge like $175 for flush, also depends on quantity and type of fluid.

I would want to replace as much fluid as possible but just want to change the fluid/filter. I dont want to flush it and end up causing problems.

Would like to go to a full synthetic, amsoil or royal purple

I do have the 5R55S tranny.

I called two dealers yesterday and both of them use a flush machine.
one price was 140 and the other was 160.

I called two dealers yesterday and both of them use a flush machine.
one price was 140 and the other was 160.

With a flush, the pan is not dropped and the filter is not changed. If your ok with that, then have whoever you want do it. You have the 5 spd trans so either method would be ok.

Just so others know, the 6 spd V-8 trans cannot be flushed. There is a 1 way valve integral to the trans that only allows fluid flow when it is at operating temp. (175/180 or so). So that rules out a flush. Pan drop only.

!40 and 160 are a good price for that. It would be a Semi synthetic fluid. They might let you use your own fluid for a slight cost difference but I think thats up to the discretion ofm dealership

With a flush, the pan is not dropped and the filter is not changed. If your ok with that, then have whoever you want do it. You have the 5 spd trans so either method would be ok.

Just so others know, the 6 spd V-8 trans cannot be flushed. There is a 1 way valve integral to the trans that only allows fluid flow when it is at operating temp. (175/180 or so). So that rules out a flush. Pan drop only.

I remember when this first came out. and tried to use the inline system with the car........what a nightmare lol. Wasted about 45mins and got maybe 1 quart of fluid out total.

so will i only end up with about 50% new fluid?

I'm waiting for 100K on my V8, no towing. Regardless, good info on this thread for owners.

ok finally did check the trans fluid. I drow around until it was warm and then put it through all the gears, crawled under it and took the allen screw and the fluid flowed down. I put the screw back in when it was almost stoped but I think I could take more out ther. It was probably 0,5 l that came out. I tested the fluid on Toilet paper and it was amazingly clean. So I think I put the transmission fluid change on hold.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back