transmission help befote i blow it up!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission help befote i blow it up!!

unhappyfordowner

Reaction score
City, State
dallas, tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer sport
ok i got a 1992 ford explorer sport 2 wd 5 spd manual tran 4.0l/v6 on 3 occasions the tranny popped out of 3rd gear on me just as i was about to shift into 4th. didnt have any other issues until the last time... i shifted on into 4th then 5th. about 2 mins later i lost all drive power. pulled over stopped tried to see if would do anything from stop, nothing. i have replaced the slave cylinder, clutch plate, and hydraulic line. im pretty sure ive bleed the system out real good, however the problem im having at this point is .....

when i start in 1st and shift into other gears nothing happens feels like a wall stopping the sifter.... but if i start in 2nd then i can continue into other gears, except reverse it grinds. when engine not running it will shift into all gears, im at a total loss on what direction to take on repairs????

Well, you may still have a clutch release issue if there is any air in there. Detach the hydraulic line from the slave cylinder and step on the clutch pedal. If it isn't rock hard, you have air in the master cylinder or line and you need to take the whole system off the truck and bleed it. Next you need to make sure you have all the air out of the slave cylinder. You should get about 5/16" of movement at the throwout bearing if it is working right.

However, your original description indicates problems inside the trans, not the clutch. Popping out of gear is definitely inside. The shifting problems sound like synchronizer issues. (Check the shift forks too.) With issues in 1st, 3rd, and reverse, you are having problems with all of them. It needs to come apart and see what's going on in there.

Bench bleeding is want I was thinkin also to try and that maybe one of the forks could be out of line....I'll try, ty

Back