2003 Explorer Transmission solenoid and overdrive servo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer Transmission solenoid and overdrive servo

DENALIJOE

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Hi All, My 2003 Explorer XLT 4x4, 4.0 77K miles driven lightly and never towed..Had a problem with the transmission not coming out of 1st gear unless I let off the gas pedal and kind of manually shifted it with the gas pedal and it would not go in to overdrive(5th). Then the overdrive light started to flash and it threw a service engine light. I went to auto zone to get the code read and it said P0775 and another code that said 5th gear ratio wrong. After reading these threads I replaced the solenoid in the trans and it did the same with no repair. I talked to a Ford tech at the local dealer and he said to replace the overdrive servo and adjust the band. I got him to do it and he update the trans programming and now it is back to new. I wish I knew if it was fixed before the reprogrammed was done but he did it all at one time. I wrote this thread because I was told by the dealer earlier and a trans shop that they would have to pull the trans for more testing or a rebuild which was expensive. The overdrive servo was done in 2 hours or less and only cost $30.00 for the parts and I gave the tech 200.00 for labor and the reprogram. I was going to do the servo myself but thought for 150.00 labor he new what to do if something went wrong(which I don't with transmissions).
I hope this may help others with these symptoms like mine, he said this is now common.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

O/d servo's

Can you give me some detailed info on how to change the servos and adjust the od bands? Can this be done without dropping the tranny as it appears on here?

Great info here...

Dead Link Removed

The bands are externally adjustable. Instructions are in that link. It appears that the servo's are a common failure. It's unclear whether or not the servo itself is the culprit, or possibly the tranny case itself wears out where the servo piston slides thru it. The above link has interesting info on that as well, and also a fix.

Thanks for posting that link! Ratiotec use to have this link posted on their website a while ago. Since they pulled it off, many people on this site have been asking me to email the PDF to them. I see that another site is hosting it now.

Great info here...

Dead Link Removed

The bands are externally adjustable. Instructions are in that link. It appears that the servo's are a common failure. It's unclear whether or not the servo itself is the culprit, or possibly the tranny case itself wears out where the servo piston slides thru it. The above link has interesting info on that as well, and also a fix.

Thanks guys. I will take a look at it and proceed in that direction for now. And I signed on as an Elite Explorer! This site is great guys and has been a tremendous help!

I found this interesting link too. It appears that they make a kit for reaming, and sleeving the servo bore. To me, it appears that the transmission has to be out, and apart to do this though. Does anyone have any first-hand information on this whole deal?

http://www.servobore.com/PDF/Instructions/5RW.pdf

Let me know how your experience comes out. My transmission is symptom free, but has 99K on it. I was thinking about adjusting the bands, and changing the fluid/filter. Any experience with this on a healthy transmission would be appreciated.

Here are some other 5R55W/S transmission links that I found while searching the net:

http://www.northlandtransmission.com/

http://www.northlandtransmission.com/servobore/5rw.asp

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/729200-02-explorer-transmission-fixed.html

http://atsg.biz/articles/html/False Pretense/False Pretense.htm

http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/index.html

Good information there! I'm a little confused as to the 5R55W tranny, is it the same as the 5R55E? From looking at mine it looks like I can change the servos from beneath afterremoving the cat, I dont think there would be enough room to do the bore work though without removing it. I did notice fluid around the covers. I believe Brooklyn said you had to have some type of compression tool to remove the cover? Can this be done with a large channel lock plier or slim c-clamp. Also is it necessary to drain the tranny for this? I'm definately going to do a pressure test as the article said when I find out where that port is.

You could use a Vice Grip welding C clamp pliers to compress the servo covers in order to remove the snap ring retainer. The 5R55W has large servos, a unitary case (all one piece), no dipstick, and some internal parts are different. The 5R55E has smaller servos just like the A4LD, and 4R55E, removable bell housing, and a dip stick.

ZC Servos & CZ Covers

Guys I may have bought the wrong parts so I hope you can tell me if I can use these. 55R5E Intermediate and Overdrive Servo's. Bought 2 #23953A ZC-2.414" Servo Pistons to use as replacements for both the od and intermediate pistons. Also got 2 #23970AG CZ Piston Covers 2.314". From what I read they will both fit eaither the od or intermediate port, is that correct?

The servos will fit in the bore of the 5R55E, but not in the 5R55W. The 5R55W servos are larger. The ZC should be the one for the overdrive. I guess the CZ would be the intermediate. How do you know that you have these sizes? Did you read the code off of the cover? The servo is matched to the size of the cover. In other words, you can't put a ZC servo into a CZ cover, and vice versa. Why did you buy 2 of each (4 total) when the transmission only has 2 servos?

I bought (2) of the Servos that are exactly alike and (2) Covers that are exactly alike.

How do you get the servo covers off? I was looking at my exploder's tranny (installed), wondering if any kind of servo repair is possible without removing the tranny or at least without tearing the tranny down. My guess is that they are not?

The servo covers don't look like they are removable, at a glance. Does it take some kind of special tool? I'm trying to wrap my mind around a job that sounds inevitable, with a 100k truck. No problems yet though.

I removed the part of my exhaust that is directly in front of the servo covers. And the PITA heat shield. Once they are out of the way you can almost look straight at them. I'm 6'4" tall so I have a hard time in,under or around anything. Each cover is held in place with a snap ring. I pried mine out carefully with a small screwdriver. There is a little knotch on the bore body exterior. You may be able to see it in my pic? I then basically grabbed the covers at the face with a pair of channel locks and pulled them straight out. Now it's just trying to get them back in, I havent got them in yet and gave up a few hours ago after the kids got home from school but will try again in the morning. Hopefully my thoughts about that little tail piece that I think is behine the actual servo bore body falling out of position isn't the case, and if it is hopefully someone reading this will tell me they can be pushed back into place from below after removing the pan.

www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229424

You could use a welding Vice Grip C clamp to push the servo with the cover back into the bore, then reinstall the snap ring. Rotunda makes a special tool just for this purpose, but the Vice Grip also works.

You could use a welding Vice Grip C clamp to push the servo with the cover back into the bore, then reinstall the snap ring. Rotunda makes a special tool just for this purpose, but the Vice Grip also works.

I removed the part of my exhaust that is directly in front of the servo covers. And the PITA heat shield. Once they are out of the way you can almost look straight at them. I'm 6'4" tall so I have a hard time in,under or around anything. Each cover is held in place with a snap ring. I pried mine out carefully with a small screwdriver. There is a little knotch on the bore body exterior. You may be able to see it in my pic? I then basically grabbed the covers at the face with a pair of channel locks and pulled them straight out. Now it's just trying to get them back in, I havent got them in yet and gave up a few hours ago after the kids got home from school but will try again in the morning. Hopefully my thoughts about that little tail piece that I think is behine the actual servo bore body falling out of position isn't the case, and if it is hopefully someone reading this will tell me they can be pushed back into place from below after removing the pan.

www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229424

Am I correct in the assumption that there is a shackle pin on the back side of the bore that the servo rod pushes on? If not, maybe I just need to put a little more force on it. I dont think I have enough room for a welding c-clamp up there, the tranny is still in?

O/D Still Flashes.

Well I finally got the O/D and Intermediate Servos in, the heat shield back in place and the exhaust back in. But the O/D light still flashes after 10-15 miles of driving. No leaks from the work I did. So I guess my only other option at this time is a rebuild. So I will get the tranny out and proceed in that direction. I would like some input on what the best kit I can get to go in it would be. I've seen many types and prices online, this one caught my eye but I don't know if that's a good deal or not, plus what other items would I possibly need? I'm sure some things are unknown until it's open and you can see what has damage or not.

http://www.ctpowertrain.com/servlet/the-272/4R44E-4R55E-5R55E-SUPER/Detail

Thanks for all the help and input!

Did you ever test the connections on the internal wiring harnes? http://www.ctpowertrain.com/servlet/the-433/4R44E-4R55E-5R55E-NEW/Detail
43f8_1_b_433_1.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure how to test them Brooklyn? But it's worth a shot, gotta drain the fluid anyways. How do I test them?

Back