Installing factory amp/sub in my 94. Wiring question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing factory amp/sub in my 94. Wiring question.

turboranger91

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas city
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Grabbed one out of the junk yard this morning. I've already got an aftermarket head unit, and I'm no stranger to wiring in an amp and subs, but nothing is labeled on this one, and I need to know what the different wires are. The amp still has the main plug on it, and I left a few inches of wire to work with... JustJust need to know what they are. Can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?

Did you pull one out of a first gen or second gen?

I did this in my second gen so I can dig up the wiring for that.

I pulled it out of a second gen, but it's going in a first gen.

Save the headache. Just use the factory enclosure, put in an aftermarket sub, and use an aftermarket amp. That's what I did in my Budget Bass project, but I still have my OEM head unit.

No need to try to utilize the subpar amp and sub that came from the factory.

That thought had crossed my mind. It's already got some rinky dink sub in it.

Alpine amp mounted under rear seat on the driver side...

Click on image for larger view...
h_b0073da6-b23e-4afe-8a84-5e29abaf127a_zpsf7b48f02.jpg

Gonna hit up the pawn shops tomorrow, and see if I can find a small amp to use. I'll give the sub that's in it a shot. Really, I just need to get it installed and hooked up quickly. I'm moving halfway across the country in a couple weeks, and it's taking up too much room.

Back